B-flat Soprano Saxophone
E-flat Alto Saxophone
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
C Trumpet I-II
- Bass Drum
- Kick Drum
- Tom-Toms (4)
- Wood Blocks (2)
None discovered thus far.
Several of my wind ensemble works (Cathedrals, Crossing Parallels, Shadows Ablaze) feature quotations of Renaissance music. Rather than echo the distant past here, I quote instead my friend and contemporary composer, Cody W. Forrest, from whom I have borrowed the lyrical melody found in Strata. You will hear the full melody twice -- first in the flugelhorn in the first movement, and later in the saxophone and brass chorales in the third movement. From this tune, I have derived much of the other motivic and harmonic material of the piece.
Cody’s stunning melody has reverberated in my mind for two years now, and I am grateful for his blessing to manipulate it into Strata. He is a first-rate friend by all accounts -- not just for being amicable to my thievery! -- a kind and selfless soul, and as you will hear, a brilliant musician.
The title, Strata, refers to layers of musical materials sounding simultaneously. Throughout the piece, melodies and instruments move through time at different speeds, sometimes collaborating, and other times at odds with one another. The unique instrumentation is closer to a jazz big band than a standard wind ensemble; the piece omits the oboes, clarinets, bassoons, horns, euphoniums, and tubas usually found in the symphonic band.
Strata is commissioned by the Temple University Wind Symphony. Many thanks to Patricia Cornett, Director of Bands, for spearheading this project and for a rewarding collaboration.
- Program Note from score
(Needed - please join the WRP if you can help.)
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- University of Wisconsin-Madison Wind Ensemble (Scott Teeple, conductor) - 5 October 2022
- Cincinnati (Ohio) Conservatory of Music Wind Symphony (Kevin Michael Holzman, conductor) - 2020
- Temple University (Philadelphia, Penn.) Wind Symphony (Patricia Cornett, conductor) – 21 February 2020 (CBDNA 2020 Eastern Division Conference, Philadelphia, Penn.) *Premiere Performance*
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Apotheosis (2018)
- Canzona VI (arr. Salfelder) (<1612/2020?)
- Canzoni XVI & XVII (as arranger, with Peltz) (1608/2021)
- Cathedrals (2007)
- Crossing Parallels (2009)
- Insurgence (2018)
- Prospect Hill (2016)
- Reminiscence (2019)
- Shadows Ablaze (2015)
- Strata (2020)
- Stylus Phantasticus 2012)
- Ungrounded Base (2012)