Duration: c. 9:30
Difficulty: IV (see Ratings for explanation)
Publisher: Shawnee Press
Cost: Score and Parts (print) - $75.00 | Score Only (print) - $10.00
E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
E-flat Alto Clarinet
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Contra-Alto Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
- Bass Drum
- Bongos (2)
- Crash Cymbals
- Snare Drum
- Suspended Cymbal
- Temple Blocks (3)
- Tenor Drum
- Timbales (3)
- Wood Blocks (2)
None discovered thus far.
Premiered in 1971 at the convention of the California Band Directors Association.
- Program Note from publisher
In 1969 and 1970, my office at San José State University faced the area which was the popular location for student rallies. At that time the country was in social turmoil over very serious issues -- the Vietnam war, the problems of Chicano farm workers, women’s liberation, Black power, the population explosion, the destruction of our environment, to name a few -- and the gatherings served as a forum for angry individuals expressing their views and venting their indignation. All of us on campus were surrounded with rage, hatred, distrust and instability.
Statement is a musical/dramatic discourse representing that scenario. Dissonance, shouting, and the singing of Gregorian chant are called for in an intense format representing humankind’s cycle of peace and war.
The work was commissioned by the California Band Directors Association for the California Symphonic Honor Band. Following the premier, conductor Harold Arnoldi commented “Statement is one of the finest pieces of contemporary band literature written today. It reflects the turmoil of present-day society.”
- Program Note by composer
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- California State University San Bernardino Symphonic Band (Nicholas Bratcher, conductor) - 9 March 2022
- San Jose (Calif.) State University Wind Ensemble (David Vickerman, conductor) - 22 February 2020 (2020 CASMEC Conference, Fresno)
- Evergreen High School Wind Ensemble - 2017
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Concerto No. 1 for Piano, Winds and Percussion (1987)
- Essay for Band (1965)
- Hymn for Band (1970)
- March for Timpani and Brass
- Soliloquy for Band (1968)
- Statement (1971)
- Brent Heisinger website Accessed 22 February 2020
- Girsberger, Russ. Percussion Assignments for Band & Wind Ensemble. Volume I: A-K. Galesburg, MD: Meredith Music Publications, 2004, 146. Print.
- Heisinger, B. (1971). Statement [score] Shawnee Press: Delaware Water Gap, Penn.