This article is a stub. If you can help add information to it,
please join the WRP and visit the FAQ (left sidebar) for information.
Subtitle: Theme and Variations on Give Me Jesus for Alto Saxophone and Symphonic Band
Duration: c. 18:00
Difficulty: V (see Ratings for explanation)
Cost: Score and Parts - Unknown
Solo Alto Saxophone
E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Saxophone
E-flat Alto Saxophone
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
(percussion detail desired)
None discovered thus far.
Spiritual: Theme and Variations on "Give Me Jesus" was written for and dedicated to saxophonist, Griffin Campbell and was premiered by the LSU Wind Ensemble during the 2013 College Band Directors National Association Conference.
- Program Note from publisher
Give Me Jesus (also known as And I Heard the Mourner Say) is a traditional American Christian spiritual song. The song references Matthew 16:26 and other passages in the Book of Matthew regarding the Judgment Day.
Possibly the earliest known version of Give Me Jesus was published in the United States in 1845 by the Rev. Jacob Knapp, a Baptist minister from New York. By 1849 the Methodists published a version, and the song was popularized in the mid-nineteenth century through various camp meetings and hymnals. Give Me Jesus was popular among African American congregations, and Slave Songs of the United States (1867) mentions that former slaves in Port Royal, South Carolina, sang it, although the song may not have originated solely with slaves, as it was published previously by the Methodists.
- Program Note from Wikipedia
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- UT Arlington Wind Symphony (Douglas Stotter, conductor; Mike Nguyen, alto saxophone) – 2019
- Louisiana State University (Baton Rouge) Wind Ensemble (Donald McKinney, conductor; Griffin Campbell, alto saxophone) – 23 March 2013 (CBDNA 2013 National Conference, Greensboro, N.C.) *Premiere Performance*
Works for Winds by this Composer
- Barbed Wire Philosophies (2010)
- Concerto for Percussion and Symphonic Band (2002)
- Custom Frame (2003)
- Pandora's Box (1999)
- The Principle of Polarity (2019)
- The Principle of Vibration (2017/2018)
- Rivers Will Flow (2021)
- Saisei Fanfare (2011)
- Shards of Glass (2005)
- Sharpened Stick (2000)
- Spiritual (2012)
- Symphony for Wind Orchestra (2014)
- Brett William Dietz website Accessed 20 August 2022
- Give Me Jesus. Wikipedia. Accessed 20 August 2022