Sonata for Trumpet and Wind Ensemble (tr Kennan)
Kent Kennan (trans. Kennan)
Year: 1956 / 1986 / 1994
Duration: c. 14:00
Difficulty: V (solo); IV (ensemble) (see Ratings for explanation)
Original Medium: Trumpet and piano
Publisher: Alfred Publishing
Cost: Score and Parts (print) - $200.00 | Score Only (print) - $50.00
1. With strength and vigor - 6:18
2. Moderately fast, with energy - 4:40
3. Rather slowly and with freedom - 4:15
(Needed, please join the WRP if you can help.)
None discovered thus far.
In 1986, Kent Kennan revised this well-known trumpet and piano recital piece (originally published in 1956) with a new ending for the first movement. More recently, he made this scoring for solo trumpet and wind ensemble and provided both the original and new endings in this new edition. A tremendous contribution to the solo trumpet repertoire.
- Program note by publisher
Sonata for Trumpet is Kennan's most widely performed work. It was commissioned by the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM) and dedicated to trumpeter K. Frank Elsass.
- Program note by California State University, Fresno, Symphonic Band
I received a commission from the National Schools of Music to write a piece that was to be part of a series of contemporary works for various brass instruments. I thought of the trumpet because we had a fantastic trumpeter here [University of Texas, Austin], Frank Elsass, who had been brought from New York, where he had been soloist with the Goldman Band at a very young age.
I think that it is a very hard combination to write for – trumpet and piano – partly because of the balance problem. I conceived of the original version as a sonata, with more or less equal parts, rather than a piece with an all-important solo part and subordinate background. As a result, the new trumpet and wind ensemble version offers more opportunities for the two to interchange dynamically, so that the trumpet is sometimes just the top voice of the brass choir, for example.
- Program Note by composer
- Audio CD: University of North Texas Symphonic Band (Dennis Fisher, conductor; John Holt, trumpet) - 2011
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- United States Marine Band (Washington, D.C.) (Michelle Rakers, conductor; Amy McCabe, trumpet) – 29 April 2018
- Metropolitan Wind Symphony (Lexington, Mass.) (Lewis J. Buckley, conductor; James Ackley, trumpet) – 3 November 2013
Works for Winds by this Composer
- Concertino for Piano and Band
- Night Soliloquy (1936/1962)
- Sonata for Trumpet and Wind Ensemble (arr. Hunsberger) (1956/1986/1998)
- Sonata for Trumpet and Wind Ensemble (trans. Kennan) (1956/1986/1994)
- Kennan, K. (1994). Sonata for Trumpet and Piano : Transcribed for Trumpet and Wind Ensemble [score]. Warner Bros.:[ Secaucus, N.Y.]