Sinfonietta No 2
Movements (played without pause)
1. Proemiale - 4:15
2. Moto Martellato - 5:20
3. Canto Polimelodico - 3:35
4. Finale Scherzando - 3:15
Oboe I-II/English Horn
E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
Cornets/B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
Euphonium (Bass Clef & Treble Clef) I-II
(percussion detail desired)
None discovered thus far.
Sinfonietta No.2 represents a mature work written during the last decade of the life of Dutch composer Henk Badings. The composer’s significant mid-career connection with musicians from the United States developed through commissions from conductors such as Robert Whitney, director of the Louisville Orchestra, and Robert Boudreau of the American Wind Symphony. The Whitney tie brought forth Symphony No. 7 -“The Louisville Symphony” which was premiered by the Louisville Orchestra in 1954, while the Boudreau relationship resulted in the Concerto for Flute and Wind Symphony Orchestra in 1963. Also significant among his works with American connections is Transitions, written in 1973, as a result of a commission by the College Band Directors National Association.
Sinfonietta No. 2 is cast in four-movement symphonic form that in broad terms is slow-fast-slow-fast. While the detail of its language is generally chromatic, the polarity of G, as framed with the perfect fifth of D, both stabilizes and unifies the central pitch focus of the work. Badings’ contrapuntal skill is notable in the first, third and, especially the fourth movement scherzo.
- Program Note by University of Louisville Wind Ensemble concert program, 15 July 2015
- Sinfonietta no. 2 has been recommended as interesting, serious and distinctive music by members of the World Association of Symphonic Bands and Ensembles (WASBE).
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- University of Louisville (Ky.) Wind Ensemble (Frederick Speck, conductor) – 15 July 2015 - WASBE Conference, San Jose, Calif.
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Ciacona Seria
- Concerto for Flute and Wind Symphony Orchestra (1963)
- Double Concerto for Bassoon and Contra Bassoon (1964)
- Figures Sonores (1984)
- Ragtime (1969)
- Reflections (1980)
- Sagas for Band (1984)
- Saxophoonconcert (1951)
- Sinfonietta No 2 (1981)
- Lieshout en Zijn Molens
- Badings, H. (1983). Sinfonietta nr. II : voor Harmonie-orkest [score]. Molenaar: Wormerveer, Netherlands.
- Heritage Encyclopedia of Band Music. "Henk Badings." Accessed 27 July 2015.
- " Sinfonietta no. 2," World Association of Symphonic Bands and Ensembles (WASBE) website Accessed 6 January 2016