1. Much Ado About Nothing – 3:40
2. A Winter's Tale - The Statue – 4:10
3. Julius Caesar - The Entry to the Senate – 4:30
(Needed - please join the WRP if you can help.)
None discovered thus far.
Shakespeare Pictures, commissioned by Birmingham Symphonic Winds, originates from incidental music composed by Nigel Hess for productions by the Royal Shakespeare Company in Stratford-upon-Avon and London, and is now expanded and re-orchestrated to form a new three-movement suite for symphonic wind orchestra.
Julius Caesar – The Entry to the Senate: starring Peter McEnery and David Schofield, this production featured a spectacular Senate scene, complete with cathedral organ and a battalion of brass players fanfaring the imminent death of Caesar himself. A Winter’s Tale – The Statue: “Music, awake her, strike!” So says Paulina as the statue of Hermione comes to life at the end of this magical play. “Descend: be stone no more; approach; strike all that look upon with marvel.” In this production Jeremy Irons played a memorable Leontes. Much Ado About Nothing: Actually used as the entr’acte in the production itself, this concert overture uses material from the joyous dance sequences scattered throughout the well-known love story of Beatrice and Benedict, played on this occasion by Sinead Cusack and Derek Jacobi.
- Program Note by publisher
- Audio CD: Tokyo Geidai Wind Orchestra (Masaharu Yamamoto, conductor) – 2018
- Audio CD: Naniwa Orchestral Winds (Shinichi Yoneda, conductor) – 2015
- Audio CD: Central Band of the Royal Air Force (Nigel Hess, conductor) – 2010
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- University of Alabama (Tuscaloosa) Symphonic Band (Randall O. Coleman, conductor) – 15 April 2019
- Oregon State University (Corvallis) Wind Ensemble (Chris Chapman, conductor) – 24 October 2018
- Lone Star Wind Orchestra (Dallas, Tex.) (Eugene Migliaro Corporon, conductor) – 4 March 2018
- Ball State University (Muncie, Ind.) Wind Ensemble (Eugene Migliaro Corporon, conductor) – 17 February 2018
- Rowan University (Glassboro, N.J.) Wind Ensemble (Joseph Higgins, conductor) – 25 October 2016
- Birmingham (UK) Junior Conservatoire Wind Orchestra – 27 June 2015
Works for Winds by this Composer
- Chansons de Normandie (2014)
- A Christmas Overture (2007/2010)
- East Coast Pictures (1985)
- Global Variations (1990)
- Ladies in Lavender Theme (2004/2010)
- The Lochnagar Suite
- March Barnes Wallis (2013)
- Monck’s March (2010)
- New London Pictures
- Scramble! (1994)
- Shakespeare Pictures (2010)
- Stephenson's Rocket
- Thames Journey (1991)
- The TV Detectives
- To the Stars!
- The Winds of Power
- Heritage Encyclopedia of Band Music. "Nigel Hess." Accessed 26 October 2016