Emil Hartmann (ed. Joshua Kearney)
This work bears the designation Opus 43.
Year: 1888 / 2016
Duration: c. 20:00
Difficulty: V (see Ratings for explanation)
Publisher: Boosey and Hawkes, distributed by Hal Leonard
Cost: Score and Parts (print) - $95.00 | Score Only (print) - $25.00
For further availability information, see Discussion tab, above.
1. Andante - 6:46
2. Scherzo - 3:46
3. Intermezzo - 3:45
4. Finale - 6:10
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II
Horn in F I-II
None discovered thus far.
The Serenade, Op. 43 for wind ensemble dates from the mid-to-late 1880s and is likely his only work for winds.
- Program Note from Eastman School of Music Wind Ensemble concert program, 6 November 2020
Thanks to Hartmann's great lyric abilities, this Serenade is a highlight in the Romantic compositions for wind ensemble. Flowing melodic lines and a warm instrumentation create a sensuous pastoral atmosphere.
- Program Note by sheetmusicplus.com
Serenade Op. 43 for chamber winds by Danish composer Emil Hartmann is likely the only work for winds by Hartmann, and it was written around 1885.
It is cast in four movements: I. Andante – Allegro, ma non tanto pastorale; II. Scherzo; III. Intermezzo; and IV. Finale. The first movement has a pastoral beginning in sonata form, followed by a high-energy scherzo and a very romantic intermezzo. A rondo (finale) concludes the work with its main theme in a march-style, highly accented and full of wit.
- Program Note by WASBE
Composed around 1885, this serenade is likely to be the only work for winds composed by Danish composer Emil Hartmann. This four-movement serenade is reminiscent of the Romantic chamber works composed by Dvorak and Strauss, and should be treated musically as such. The first movement has a very pastoral feel, followed by an energetic scherzo, an idiomatically romantic and brief intermezzo, and a witty rondo movement that serves as the finale.
- Program Note compiled by Joseph Leites for University of Louisville Chamber Winds concert program, 9 March 2023
- Audio: Reference recording. I. Andante – Allegro, ma non tanto pastorale
- Audio: Reference recording. II. Scherzo: Allegro vivace con fuoco
- Audio: Reference recording. III. Intermezzo: Andante
- Audio: Reference recording. IV. Finale : Allegro moderato – Andantino religioso
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Northern Illinois University (DeKalb) Wind Ensemble (Thomas Bough, conductor) – 28 November 2023
- University of Louisville (Ky.) Chamber Winds (Joseph Leites, conductor) - 9 March 2023
- Indiana University (Bloomington) Chamber Winds (Jason Nam, conductor) - 4 March 2021
- Appalachia: A Southeastern Wind Symphony (Knoxville, Tenn.) (Logan Campbell, conductor) - 5 February 2021 (Virtual)
- Eastman School of Music (Rochester, N.Y.) Wind Ensemble (Mark Davis Scatterday, conductor) - 6 November 2020
- University of Central Florida (Orlando) Symphonic Band (Emmanuel Rodriguez, conductor) - 29 October 2020
- University of Northern Colorado (Greeley) Wind Ensemble (Wesley J. Broadnax, conductor) – 13 February 2020
- University of Southern California (Los Angeles) Thornton Wind Ensemble (H. Robert Reynolds, conductor) – 29 March 2019
- Louisiana State University (Baton Rouge) Chamber Winds – 12 March 2018
- University of Michigan (Ann Arbor) Symphony Band Chamber Winds (Michael Haithcock, conductor) – 27 January 2017
- Temple University (Philadelphia, Penn.) Wind Ensemble (H. Robert Reynolds, conductor) – 18 November 2015
- University of Southern California Thornton Wind Ensemble (H. Robert Reynolds, conductor) - 12 April 2015
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Hartmann, Emil [1890?]. Serenade: For Flutes, Oboe, 2 Clarinets, 2 Horns, 2 Bassoons, Violincello, Double Bass [score]. Compusic: Amsterdam.
- Heritage Encyclopedia of Band Music. "Emil Hartmann." Accessed 14 April 2015
- Perusal score
- "SERENADE op. 43 For Wind Octet, Cello and Double Bass by Emil Hartmann (Denmark, 1836-1898)." WASBE. Web. (Featured as WASBE’s Composition of the Week, 25 January 2021). Accessed 14 January 2023