Selections from "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg"
Michel Legrand (arr. Johnny Warrington)
Year: 1964 / 1967
Duration: c. 6:15
Difficulty: (see Ratings for explanation)
Original Medium: Orchestra
Publisher: Hal Leonard
Cost: Score and Parts – Out of print.
For availability information, see Discussion tab, above.
E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
E-flat Alto Clarinet
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Cornet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III
Percussion I-II, including:
- Bass Drum
- Crash Cymbals
- Snare Drum
None discovered thus far.
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (French: Les Parapluies de Cherbourg) is a 1964 musical romantic drama film written and directed by Jacques Demy, with music and lyrics by Michel Legrand. Catherine Deneuve and Nino Castelnuovo star as two young lovers in the town of French town of Cherbourg, separated by circumstance. The film's dialogue is entirely sung as recitative, including casual conversation, and is sung-through, or through-composed like some operas and stage musicals.
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg won the Palme d'Or at the 1964 Cannes Film Festival. In the United States, it was nominated for five Academy Awards, including Best Foreign-Language Film, Best Original Screenplay (Demy), and Best Original Score (Demy and Legrand). The film's main theme, I Will Wait for You, was nominated for Best Original Song. It was later adapted into an English-language stage musical.
This medley of themes from the movie by Johnny Warrington includes I Will Wait for You, Watch What Happens, and The Day They Closed the Carousel.
- Program Note adapted from publisher and Wikipedia
(Needed - please join the WRP if you can help.)
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Stony Brook (N.Y.) University Wind Ensemble (Bruce Engel, conductor) - 17 November 2021
- Philippine (Manila) Youth Symphonic Band (Sir Bombie, conductor) – 10 February 2010
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Brian’s Song (arr. Balent) (1984)
- Michel Legrand in Concert (arr. Polster) (1972)
- Picasso Suite Sketch (arr. Bennett) (1974)
- Selections from "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg" (arr. Warrington) (1964/1967)
- The Summer of '42 (arr. Osterling) (1974)
- The Umbrellas of Cherbourg. See: Selections from "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg"
- Windmills of Your Mind (arr. Mortimer)
- Legrand, M.; Warrington, J. (1967). Selections from the Umbrellas of Cherbourg : For Concert Band [score]. Vogue Music Inc.: Santa Monica, Calif.
- The Umbrellas of Cherbourg. Wikipedia Accessed 17 November 2021