Sean O’Loughlin (b. 1972) is an American composer and conductor.
Growing up in Syracuse, N.Y., Mr. O'Loughlin displayed a passion for music at an early age. Sean benefited from loving parents who supported his musical aspirations and challenged him to explore music as a career. During his undergraduate years at Syracuse University, Sean’s musical career began to take shape with the guidance of Larry Clark. Mr. O'Loughlin holds composition degrees from New England Conservatory and Syracuse University.
Through his growing number of commissioned and published works, Sean is excited to continue contributing to the rich history of orchestral and wind band literature. He is a fresh voice and a rising name in the music world. His music is characterized by vibrant rhythms, passionate melodies, and colorful scoring. Commissions from the Boston Pops Orchestra, the Los Angeles Philharmonic and the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra highlight and showcase his diverse musical abilities.
As a conductor, Mr. O'Loughlin is the principal pops conductor of Symphoria, from Syracuse, N.Y., and has been appointed principal pops conductor of the Victoria Symphony in Victoria, B.C. Canada. He is a frequent guest conductor with professional orchestras and honor bands around the country. He has led performances with the Boston Pops Orchestra, the San Francisco Symphony, the Chicago Symphony, the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra, the Minnesota Orchestra, the Vancouver Symphony, the Atlanta Symphony, the Baltimore Symphony, the Houston Symphony, the Victoria Symphony and the Seattle Symphony among others. He was the assistant conductor and arranger for a production of Sgt. Pepper Live in Las Vegas featuring the band Cheap Trick. He has served as conductor for summer tours with Josh Groban, Sarah McLachlan and the Jerry Garcia Symphonic Celebration.
An annual ASCAP Special Awards winner, Sean was a composition fellow at the Henry Mancini Institute in Los Angeles.
Works for Winds
- Achilles' Wrath
- Amazing Grace (as arranger)
- Ancient Irish Hymn (as arranger) (2006)
- Arrival at Normandy
- Back to the Future (as arranger)
- Burst (2008)
- Daedalus' Labyrinth (2014)
- Carol of the Bells (as arranger)
- Commence! (2018)
- Elation (2013)
- Enchanted Village (2007)
- Exhale (2018)
- A Gleeful Christmas (as arranger)
- Hawaii Five-O Theme (as arranger)
- Highlights from "Frozen" (as arranger) (2013)
- Highlights from "Brave" (as arranger) (2012)
- Holiday Portraits (2010) (as arranger)
- How to Train Your Dragon (as arranger) (2010)
- Ides of March, The (2013)
- I'm Shipping Up to Boston (as arranger)
- Imani (2001)
- Impact (2008)
- Journey to Illyria (2018)
- Jubilant Holiday (2005)
- Mighty Mite (as arranger) (1951/2003/2013)
- Mountains of Mohon
- Path to Victory
- Pulse Pounding (2014)
- Soaring (2013)
- Spirals of Light (2007)
- The Star-Spangled Banner (as arranger) (1814/2017)
- Tribal Quest
- Turning Point
- Winds Along the Whippany (2010)
- Sean O'Loughlin website - Accessed 22 May 2018