Duration: c. 9:35
Difficulty: VI (solo); V (ensemble) (see Ratings for explanation)
Original Medium: Symphony
Publisher: Éditions Robert Martin
Cost: Score and Parts (print) - €203.00 | Score Only (print) - €40.00
Solo B-flat Soprano Saxophone
Solo B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
B-flat Contrabass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
Percussion I-II-III-IV-V, including:
- Antique Cymbals
- Bass Drum
- Crash Cymbals
- Snare Drum
- Struck Cymbals
- Suspended Cymbal
- Wood Block
None discovered thus far.
The name Scherzo Furioso is fitting: this work is a furious display of virtuosity and a headlong musical journey through a variety of soundscapes. True to its name, Scherzo Furioso is an energetic single-movement work that also includes elements of rondo and fugue. This ten-minute piece features a saxophone duet comprised of one soprano saxophone and one tenor saxophone, both of whom execute such advanced techniques as altissimo voicing and slap-tonguing.
Scherzo Furioso was written for the 2015 World Saxophone Congress, known as SaxOpen, a saxophone festival held in Strasbourg, France. The work is dedicated to American jazz saxophonist Branford Marsalis, and French classical saxophonist Claude Delangle.
- Program Note from Michigan State University Wind Symphony concert program, 30 April 2022
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Michigan State University (East Lansing) Wind Symphony (Kevin Sedatole, conductor; Joe Lulloff, soprano saxophone; Jordan Lulloff, tenor saxophone) - 30 April 2022
- Brigham Young University (Provo, Utah) Wind Symphony (Donald Peterso; Ray Smith, tenor saxophone; Daron Bradford, soprano saxophone) - 19 February 2021
- Michigan State University (East Lansing) Wind Symphony (Kevin Sedatole, conductor; Joseph Lulloff and Jordan Lulloff, saxophone) – 25 April 2020 (Performance scheduled, but concert canceled)
- Orchestre de la Garde républicaine (Francois Boulanger, conductor; Claude Delangle and Branford Marsalis, saxophone) – 7 October 2015 *Premiere Performance*
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Double Concerto for marimba solo, vibes solo (as arranger) (2017)
- Pour de Temps de Paix (2015)
- Scherzo Furioso (2015)
- Gudefin, J. (2015). Scherzo Furioso : For Solo Soprano & Tenor Saxophones & Concert Band [score]. Éditions Robert Martin: Charnay-lés-Mâcon, France.
- Perusal score