B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-I
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II
Horn in F
Percussion (min. 3 players), including:
- Bass Drum
- Glockenspiel I-II
- Suspended Cymbal
None discovered thus far.
Reminiscence is one of three pieces commissioned to honor Frank L. Battisti's 85th birthday, June 27, 2016. A five-note motive -- composed by Frank himself!: F G A F Gb (here transposed down a fifth: Bb C D Bb B) -- saturates every movement of the piece. In its entirely, the motive serves as the first five notes of the principal melody. The first three pitches (Bb C D) morph into a repeated hemiola, which rises sequentially in pitch as the piece progresses. The motive's range -- Major 3rd and minor 3rd -- is emphasized by third relations in the harmony.
Reminiscence evokes nostalgia, yearning and growth. Some moments are peaceful, while others are full of angst. I encourage both players and listeners to weave their own personal memories and stories into the musical narrative.
I was fortunate to have first encountered Frank Battisti during my undergrad years at NEC [New England Conservatory]. His teaching, his passion for details and his advocacy for new, rich and challenging music at all grade levels are inspirations. I am grateful to celebrate him with my first piece for young wind band.
- Program Note by composer
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- University of Wisconsin Stevens Point Wind Symphony (John Lynch, conductor) - 2 March 2023
- California All-State Junior High School Symphonic Band (Cheryl Floyd, conductor) – 20 February 2022 (2022 CASMEC Conference, Fresno)
- Atlanta (Ga.) Wind Symphony (Tyler Ehrlich, conductor) - 16 December 2021 (2021 Midwest Clinic)
- University of British Columbia (Vancouver) Concert Winds (Imran Amarshi, conductor) - 8 October 2021
- University of Texas at Arlington Symphonic Band (Christopher Evans, conductor) - 9 May 2021
- University of Nebraska Kearney Wind Ensemble (Duane Bierman, conductor) - 29 April 2021
- Western Carolina University (Cullowhee, N.C.) Wind Ensemble (Margaret Underwood, conductor) – 8 February 2020
- University of Illinois (Champaign) University Band (Will Sugg, conductor) – 8 December 2019
- Randolph-Macon College (Ashland, Va.) Ensemble (Brian A. Coffill, conductor) – 9 November 2019
- Ithaca College (NY) Summer Music Academy Intermediate Wind Ensemble (Aaron Burgess, conductor) - 3 August 2019
- University of Louisville (KY) Concert Band (Jason Cumberledge, conductor) - 16 April 2019
- Yale University (New Haven, Conn.) Concert Band (Thomas Duffy, conductor) – 11 November 2018 *Premiere Performance*
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Apotheosis (2018)
- Canzona VI (arr. Salfelder) (<1612/2020?)
- Canzoni XVI & XVII (as arranger, with Peltz) (1608/2021)
- Cathedrals (2007)
- Crossing Parallels (2009)
- Insurgence (2018)
- Prospect Hill (2016)
- Reminiscence (2019)
- Shadows Ablaze (2015)
- Strata (2020)
- Stylus Phantasticus 2012)
- Ungrounded Base (2012)
- Higgins, Joseph. "Reminiscence." In Teaching Music through Performance in Band. Volume 12, Compiled and edited by Andrew Trachsel, 256-262. Chicago: GIA Publications, 2021.
- The Horizon Leans Forward…, compiled and edited by Erik Kar Jun Leung, GIA Publications, 2021, p. 462.
- Kathryn Salfelder website Accessed 11 November 2018
- Perusal score
- Salfelder, K.; Battisti, F. (2019). Reminisence [score]. Boosey & Hawkes: New York, N.Y.