Ralph Hultgren (b. 1953, Box Hill, Victoria, Australia) is an Australian composer.
Mr. Hultgren began his professional music career as a trumpet player in 1970. He has performed with the Central Band of the Royal Australian Air Force, the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra, the Australian Brass Choir, and has worked as a freelance musician for the theatre, opera, cabaret, and recording studios.
From 1979-1990, Mr. Hultgren was composer/arranger in residence for the Queensland Department of Education’s Instrumental Music Program. During this time he produced 185 works for that department. His works have been performed widely within Australia as well as internationally, including the U.S.A., Canada, Britain, France, Switzerland, Mexico, Singapore, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Norway, and New Zealand. Mr. Hultgren has been nominated for the prestigious “Sammy and Penguin Awards” for his television soundtracks, and has twice won the coveted “Yamaha Composer of the Year Award” for his symphonic band works. In 1998 he became the recipient of the “Citation of Excellence,” the Australian Band and Orchestra Directors’ Association’s highest honor.
Appointments as a consultant in conducting, composition, and music education have taken place in Singapore, Hong Kong, New Zealand, Taiwan, the U.S.A., and throughout Australia. Mr. Hultgren is currently Head of Pre-Tertiary Studies at the Queensland Conservatorium, Griffith University, where he also directs the Wind Symphony program and lectures in conducting and instrumental pedagogy.
Works for Winds
- And Enoch Walked With God
- ...and tears no bitterness (2019)
- April 25th, 1915 (2000)
- Arachnophobia (2014)
- An Australian Rhapsody (1987)
- Bright Sunlit Morning (2002/2005)
- Bushdance (1991)
- Beyond The Frontier
- Celebration of Life (1995)
- Concert Prelude (1995/2001)
- Concertino for Wind Orchestra (2011/2018)
- Eden's Coast and the Sea (1995)
- Grand March - The Australian Land
- High Country (1989)
- Immortal! Invisible!
- Jessie's Well (2010)
- Many Paths (Millen Kulgun)
- Moto Perpetuo
- Of Stories Told
- Pacific Preamble (1988)
- Pageant (Hultgren)
- Rejoice! Be Glad! (2017)
- Simple Song (2003)
- That I May Love (2017)
- Whirr, Whirr, Whirr!!! (2001)
- White Noise (2009)
- Ellerby, Martin. Chocolate, Vanilla and Strawberry The Wind Music of Ralph Hultgren Winds Magazine.
- Ralph Hultgren website Accessed 15 February 2019