Peter Van Zandt Lane
Peter Van Zandt Lane (b. 13 May 1985, Port Jefferson, New York) is an American composer of acoustic and electroacoustic music.
Peter holds composition degrees from Brandeis University and the University of Miami Frost School of Music, and studied composition with Melinda Wagner, Eric Chasalow, David Rakowski, and Lansing McLoskey. He is currently Assistant Professor of Composition and Director of the Dancz Center for New Music at the University of Georgia Hodgson School of Music, and previously held teaching positions at Brandeis University, Wellesley College, MIT, and Harvard.
Peter has composed music for Dinosaur Annex Music Ensemble, International Contemporary Ensemble, The Lydian String Quartet, Triton Brass, Xanthos Ensemble, East Coast Composers Ensemble, Juventas New Music Ensemble, NotaRiotous, The Quux Collective, and the New York Virtuoso Singers. Works have also been played by The Cleveland Orchestra, Ensemble SIGNAL, and Freon Ensemble (Rome). He has received commissions from the Barlow Endowment for Music Composition, the Composers Conference and Chamber Music Center at Wellesley College, Juventas New Music Ensemble, and Dinosaur Annex Music Ensemble. He has received fellowships at MacDowell Colony, Yaddo, the Virginia Center for the Creative Arts, the Atlantic Center for the Arts, and Brush Creek. He was a member of Composers in Red Sneakers, and is an active bassoonist with a focus on contemporary music.
Professor Lane was awarded the esteemed Charles Ives Fellowship as one of eighteen recipients of the American Academy of Arts and Letters 2018 Music Awards.
Works for Winds
- Astrarium 2015
- Beacons 2017
- Chansonnier (as transcriber) (2018)
- Echo Chambers (2019)
- Hivemind 2014
- /ping/ (2016)
- Radix Tyrannis (2017)
- Slant Apparatus 2010
- Violin Concerto in D Major (as transcriber) (1878/2020)
- Kitelinger, Shannon. "Beacons." In Teaching Music through Performance in Band. Volume 12, Compiled and edited by Andrew Trachsel, 727-734. Chicago: GIA Publications, 2021.
- Mast, Andrew. "Hivemind." In Teaching Music through Performance in Band. Volume 11, Compiled and edited by Richard Miles, 907-912. Chicago: GIA Publications, 2018.
- Peter Van Zandt Lane, Wikipedia
- Peter Van Zandt Lane website