Year: 1802 / 1960
Duration: c. 10:00
Difficulty: IV (see Ratings for explanation)
Publisher: Alfred Publishing
Cost: Score and Parts - Out of print.
For availability information, see Discussion tab, above.
E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet Solo-II-III-IV
E-flat Alto Clarinet
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Cornet Solo-II-III-IV
E-flat Horn or Alto I-II-III-IV
F Horn I-II-III-IV
(Percussion instrumentation undifferentiated in score)
None discovered thus far.
Peter Schmoll und seine Nachbarn (Peter Schmoll and his Neighbours) is the third opera by Carl Maria von Weber and the first for which the music has survived, though the libretto has not. It was written in 1802 when the composer was only 15 and premiered in Augsburg the following year. The opera takes the form of a Singspiel, mixing spoken dialogue and musical numbers. The libretto is based on a novel by C.G. Cramer.
- Program Note from Wikipedia
Weber's third opera, Peter Schmoll und seine Nachbarn (Peter Schmoll and His Neighbours) had its first performance in Augsburg, possibly in March 1803. The librettist Joseph Türk based his text, much of its dialogue now lost, on a novel by Carl Gottlob Cramer.
The rich old Peter Schmoll lives with his nineteen-year-old daughter Minette. She is in love with the young hero Carl, who turns out to be the son of Peter Schmoll’s long lost brother, separated from his family by the French revolution. Finally, various misunderstandings are resolved and Minette and Carl are happily united.
The Overture, effectively revised by the composer in 1807 under the title Grande Ouverture à plusieurs instruments and dedicated to Jérôme Bonaparte, uses melodies from the opera.
- Program note from liner notes to CD Weber: Overtures, New Zealand Symphony Orchestra
None discovered thus far.
- Florida: IV
- Louisiana: IV
- Oklahoma: IV-A
- South Carolina: V
- Tennessee: IV
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Pomona (Calif.) Concert Band (Linda W. Taylor, conductor) – 7 July 2016
Works for Winds by this Composer
- Abu Hassan Overture
- Andante and Hungarian Rondo (arr. Rogers) (1809/)
- Andante and Hungarian Rondo (arr. Weait) (1809/1998)
- Concertino (arr. Reed) (1811/1962)
- Concertino for Clarinet (arr. Lake) (1811/1924)
- Concertino for Oboe and Winds (ed. Klocker) (1809/1981)
- Concertino Op. 26 (tr. Nefs) (1811/2019)
- Concertino Op 26 for Clarinet and Band (arr. Smith) (1811/)
- Concerto for Bassoon (arr. Schmalz) (1811/1989)
- Concerto No. 1, Op. 73
- Der Freischütz Overture (arr. Moses-Tobani) (1821/1922)
- Der Freischütz Overture (arr. Sedlák) (1821/1989)
- Fantasia and Rondo (arr. Snavely) (1815/1968)
- Grand Duo Concertante (arr. Keith McDaniel)
- Invitation to the Dance (arr. Meyrelles) (1816/1891)
- Jubel Overture (tr. Patterson) (1818)
- Oberon Overture (arr. Lake) (1826/1937)
- Oberon Overture (arr. Tobani) (1826/1898)
- Oberon Overture (tr. Hindsley) (1826/197-?)
- Overture to "Euryanthe" (arr. Weller) (1823/1888)
- Peter Schmoll (arr. Smith) (1802/1960)
- Second Concerto for Clarinet (arr. Brown) (1811/1949/1968)
- Second Concerto for Clarinet (arr. Kopetz) (1811)
- Encyclopedia of Band Music. "Carl Maria von Weber." Accessed 5 July 2016
- Peter Schmoll und seine Nachbarn, Wikipedia Accessed 5 July 2016
- Weber, C.; Smith, C. (1960). Peter Schmoll [score]. Pro Arte: [Westbury]