Duration: c. 10:20
Difficulty: (see Ratings for explanation)
Publisher: Ajir Music
Cost: Score and Parts - Unknown
E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Saxophone
E-flat Alto Saxophone
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
Percussion I-II-III-IV, including:
- Bass Drum
- Brake Drum (3)
- Crash Cymbals
- Orchestra Chimes
- Piccolo Snare
- Piccolo Woodblock
- Sizzle Cymbal
- Suspended Cymbal (small and medium)
None discovered thus far.
Passage was composed in 2010, but the music looks back at earlier times in my life. A prominent four-note theme, first heard as the harmonized melody in the woodwinds, comes from a piece I composed in 1990 called Duo for Violins. In the duo, the theme appears at a climactic moment and is filled with passionate intensity. In Passage, the theme is set with rich harmonies that shift with each repetition, and the rhythmic character is supple and nuanced. To me, it's like, encountering an old friend who has changed with age, hopefully for the better.
Composing for symphonic band was another occasion for retrospection. My formative musical experiences began in 1970, when I played in public school bands and jazz ensembles directed by men who offered instruction, mentorship, and priceless opportunities to discover myself as a composer and musicians. And so it is with gratitude that I dedicate this piece to Robert C. Shirek, Calvin D. Moely, and Raymond C. Wifler, three American bandmasters who revealed to me what it could mean to live a life in music.
Passages was commission by the American Bandmasters Association and received its premiere at the Midwest Conference in December 15, 2010, in a performance by the United States Marine Band ("The President's Own") conducted by Captain Michelle Rakers.
- Program Note by composer
- Audio: Reference recording. United States Marine Band (Col. Michael J. Colburn, conductor)
- Audio CD: United States Marine Band (Capt. Michelle Rakers, conductor) - 2010
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Baylor University (Waco, Tx.) Wind Ensemble (Eric Wilson, conductor) - 23 April 2021
- University of Georgia (Athens) Hodgson Wind Symphony (Jaclyn Hartenberger, conductor) – 20 April 2018
- Central Michigan University (Mount Pleasant) Symphonic Wind Ensemble (John E. Williamson, conductor) – 1 December 2016
- University of Arkansas (Fayetteville) Wind Ensemble (Christopher Knighten, conductor) – 18 March 2016 (CBDNA 2016 Southwestern Division Conference, Boulder, Colo.)
- University of Arkansas (Fayetteville) Wind Ensemble (Benjamin Lorenzo, conductor) – 16 November 2015
- Temple University (Philadelphia, Penn.) Wind Symphony (Emily Threinen, conductor) – 2 October 2015
- Central Michigan University Symphonic Wind Ensemble (John E. Williamson, conductor) – 2012
- United States Marine Band (Washington, D.C.) (Michelle A. Rakers, conductor) – March 4, 2011 (ABA 2011 Annual Convention (Norfolk, Virginia))
- United States Marine Band (Washington, D.C.) (Michael Colburn, conductor) – 16 December 2010 (2010 Midwest Clinic)
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Birdwell, John Cody. "Passage." In Teaching Music through Performance in Band. Volume 9, edit. & comp. by Richard Miles, 734-741. Chicago: GIA Publications, 2013.
- Heritage Encyclopedia of Band Music. "Scott Lindroth." Accessed 1 September 2015
- Perusal score
- Scott Lindroth website Accessed 20 April 2018