Overture to "Voyage to the Moon"
E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Cornet I-II-III
B-flat Trumpet I-II
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
Percussion I-II, including:
- Bass Drum
- Crash Cymbals
- Snare Drum
- Flute I, m. 15, second quarter note should be a G-natural, not G-flat.
- Flute I, m. 16, note should be a C, not an E.
- Flute II, m. 13-14, note should possibly be D, followed by C-natural
- Trombone II, m. 148, note should be C, not B-flat.
- Trombone III, m. 148, note should be A-natural, not G.
Jacques Offenbach's operetta Voyage to the Moon tells the enchanting story of a prince who sets out on an adventure to travel to the moon. Premiered in Paris in October of 1875, the production was loosely based on the popular Jules Verne novel From the Earth to the Moon and spared no expense in making it a major theatrical event. This lively and exuberant overture contains various themes from the operetta, including a beautifully lyric horn solo, before concluding with a brilliant can-can-like presto that Offenbach is famous for. The musical flair and dance-like exuberance brilliantly reflect the grand spectacle of the stage presentation.
- Program Note by publisher
Le voyage dans la Lune (A Trip to the Moon) is an opéra-féerie in four acts and 23 scenes by Jacques Offenbach. Loosely based on the novel From the Earth to the Moon by Jules Verne, its French libretto was by Albert Vanloo, Eugène Leterrier and Arnold Mortier.
It premiered on 26 October 1875 at the Théâtre de la Gaîté.
- Program Note from Wikipedia
None discovered thus far.
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Indiana State University (Terre Haute) Wind Symphony (Nikk Pilato, conductor) - 17 October 2019
- New Orleans (La.) Concert Band (Charles Taylor, conductor) – 2 November 2019
- United States Marine Band (Washington, D.C.) (John R. Bourgeois, conductor) - 10 March 2017 (82nd Annual ABA National Convention) *Premiere Performance*
Works for Winds by this Composer
- Ballet Parisien (arr. Isaac) (1953)
- Drum Major's Daughter, The (arr. Odom) (1879/1974)
- Galop (arr. Bourgeois) (1859/2001)
- La Belle Helene Overture (arr. Odom) (1864/1978)
- Le Can (arr. Whitcomb) (1858)
- Les Contes d'Hoffmann (arr. Safranek) (1880/1910)
- Madame Favart Overture
- Orpheus in the Underworld Overture (arr Binder) (arr. Binder, ed. McAlister) (1858/2004)
- Orpheus in the Underworld Overture (arr Odom) (arr. Odom) (1858/1984)
- Orpheus in the Underworld Overture (arr. Lake) (1858)
- Overture to "Voyage to the Moon" (trans. Bourgeois) (1875/2017)
- Portraits from La Périchole
- Tales of Hoffman (arr. Safranek). See: Les Contes d'Hoffmann
- Themes from "La Belle Hélène" (arr. Mahaffey) (1864/1997)
- Themes from Offenbach (arr. Johnson) (1959)
- Le voyage dans la lune (operetta), Wikipedia Accessed 10 March 2017