Subtitle: Concerto for Piano and Wind Ensemble
(Needed - please join the WRP if you can help.)
None discovered thus far.
Out Loud (2008) is a concerto for piano and wind ensemble, commissioned by the Cornell University Wind Ensemble (Cynthia Johnston Turner, conductor). It is Likhuta’s first composition for wind ensemble, seeking to explore the medium within her compositional style. As opposed to other piano concerti, the ensemble’s role is not reduced to a mere accompaniment, but rather intended as a conversation or a musical argument with the soloist. “I wanted every note to be honest and sincere, like thinking out loud musically” hence the title of the work.
- Program Note from WASBE
It always seemed to me that the character of wind instruments complemented my style of writing. As a pianist, I’m amazed by the drastic, almost instantaneous, volume and mood change that any wind instrument can produce while holding the same note, something that the piano is not capable of doing. Out Loud (2008) came about as a combination of my three favorite musical elements: the piano as an ambitious soloist, the wind ensemble as a solid compositional instrument with tremendous versatility, and finally, a musical conversation, or rather an argument, between the two.
When I first heard the wind ensemble as a medium by itself it stimulated a flood of ideas in my mind. I was completely consumed by this piece for months, striving to write out all of the ideas I had. Additional excitement and inspiration came from composing specifically for Cornell University Wind Ensemble because this was a great way for me to express my appreciation for Cornell University and all the nice people I knew there. As a consequence, I feel that every measure of Out Loud is very sincere and honest.
- Program Note by composer
- Audio: Reference recording. Cornell University Wind Ensemble (Cynthia Johnston Turner, conductor)
- Audio CD: Cornell University Wind Ensemble (Cynthia Johnston Turner, conductor) - 2012
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Apex Predators (2015)
- Bad Neighbours (2017)
- Bury and Rise (2023)
- Hard to Argue (2014)
- Home Away from Home (2019)
- It Comes and Goes
- Let the Darkness Out (2011/2019)
- Me Disagrees (2010/2013)
- Out Loud (2008)
- A Place That Is Yours (2022)
- Planet B (2021)
- Scraps from a Madman's Diary (2016)
- Storm Chasers (2022)
- Through Healers' Eyes (2020)
- Vivid Dreams (2018/2020)
- Catherine Likhuta website Accessed 17 January 2023
- Likhuta, C. . Out Loud [score]. Catherine Likhuta: [Australia]
- "OUT LOUD by Catherine Likhuta (Ukraine)." WASBE. Web. (Featured as WASBE’s Composition of the Week, 23 December 2019). Accessed 17 January 2023