On the Trail from ''Grand Canyon Suite''
Ferde Grofé (arr. Erik Leidzén)
Year: 1931 / 1935
Difficulty: (see Ratings for explanation)
Cost: Score and Parts - Unknown.
For availability information, see Discussion tab, above.
E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
E-flat Alto Clarinet
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Bass Saxophone
B-flat Cornet I-II-III
E-flat Horn or Alto I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
Drums (5 players), including:
- Bass Drum
- Crash Cymbals
- Orchestra Bells
- Snare Drum
None discovered thus far.
The Grand Canyon Suite is a suite for orchestra by Ferde Grofé, composed between 1929 and 1931. It was initially titled "Five Pictures of the Grand Canyon". It consists of five movements, each an evocation in tone of a particular scene typical of the Grand Canyon. Paul Whiteman and his orchestra gave the first public performance of the work, in concert at the Studebaker Theatre in Chicago on November 22, 1931.
The movements of the suite are Sunrise, Painted Desert, On the Trail, Sunset and Cloudburst.
- Program Note from Wikipedia
(Needed - please join the WRP if you can help.)
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Maryland Winds (Columbia) (Timothy Holtan, conductor) - 14 January 2020
- University of Illinois (Urbana-Champaign) Summer Band (Jason Gardner, conductor) - 27 July 2017
- Allan Hancock College (Santa Maria, Calif.) Concert Band (Greg Orwell, conductor) - 9 May 2015
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Concerto for Piano in F (as transcriber) (1925/1928)
- Death Valley Suite (arr. D. Bennett)
- Elk's Grand Reunion (1909)
- Grand Canyon Suite (tr. Bass) (1931)
- Hawaiian Suite (1965)
- Hendrick Hudson from ''Hudson River Suite'' (arr. Hawkins)
- March for Americans (1945)
- Mardi Gras from ''Mississippi Suite'' (arr. Leidzen)
- Mississippi Suite Overture (arr. Bennett) (1925/1954)
- N-E-W-S (1958)
- Ode to an American Soldier (1958)
- On the Trail (arr. Bennett) (1931/1951)
- On the Trail from Grand Canyon Suite (arr. Leidzen) (1931/1935)
- Over There Fantasie (as arranger; scored by Leidzen) (1917/1937/1951)
- Owls to Parade (1953)
- Paris Portrait from ''Atlantic Crossing'' (arr. Yoder)
- Rhapsody in Blue (as transcriber) (1924/1938)
- Scalawag (1956)
- Salute to Grofé, A (arr. Yoder) (1955)
- San Francisco Suite (arr. Tam) (1960/2015)
- Symphony in Steel (1935)
- Themes from "Grand Canyon Suite" (ar. Wagner) (1931)
- Valley of Enchantment (1958)
- Girsberger, Russ. Percussion Assignments for Band & Wind Ensemble. Volume I: A-K. Galesburg, MD: Meredith Music Publications, 2004, 129. Print.
- Grand Canyon Suite, Wikipedia
- Grofé, F.; Leidzén, E. (1935). On the Trail [score]. Robbins Music Corp.: New York.