My Faith Looks Up to Thee
Lowell Mason (arr. Timothy Rhea)
Year: 1830 / 2001
Duration: c. 4:30
Difficulty: II (see Ratings for explanation)
Original Medium: Hymn
Publisher: TRN Music Publisher
Cost: Score and Parts (print) - $55.00 | Score Only (print) - $8.00
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II
- Bass Drum
- Crash Cymbals
- Snare Drum
None discovered thus far.
Commissioned for Elizabeth Webb, longtime band booster president, by the Cisco, Texas, High School Band and Band Boosters, Jeff Estes, conductor. The premiere performance took place after the passing of Mrs. Webb, in April of 2001.
This setting of the hymn My Faith Looks Up to Thee, while technically not difficult, was created to employ the various orchestration colors and textures of the symphonic band.
- Program Note from publisher
Ray Palmer, a later doctor of theology, and Lowell Mason, a doctor of music, met in Boston in 1830. Mason inquired to Palmer if he had any lyrics that could be inserted for Spiritual Songs for Social Worship, a compilation that was being prepared by Mason and Thomas Hastings for publication within a couple years.
Palmer presented Mason his leather book containing his poem, My Faith Looks Up to Thee, originally in six stanzas. The two men walked into a shop so Mason could obtain a transcript of Palmer’s words. It wasn’t until he arrived home that evening that the forthwith celebrated stanzas were read, and Mason immediately wrote the tune Olivet,, the only melody ever performed with Palmer’s poem. Palmer believed his hymn flourished since it “embodied, in appropriate and simple language that which is most central in all true Christian experience—the act of faith in the divine Redeemer—the entrusting of the individual soul to Him entirely and forever.”
- Program Note from Godtube
- Audio CD: Texas A&M University Wind Symphony (John Whitwell, conductor) - 2010
- Audio: Reference recording. Texas A&M Symphonic Band (Timothy Rhea, conductor)
- Audio: University Chicago Wind Symphony (Richard Fischer, conductor) - 2013
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Texas A&M University (College Station) Wind Symphony (John Whitwell, conductor) – 18 December 2010 (2010 Midwest Clinic)
Works for Winds by This Composer
- My Faith Looks Up to Thee (arr. Rhea) (1830/2001)
- Nearer My God To Thee (1856/1903)
- Nearer My God To Thee (arr. Chambers) (1856/1902)
- Nearer My God To Thee (arr. Clarke) (1856)
- Nearer My God To Thee (arr. Henderson; adapt. Custer) (1856/1994)
- Nearer My God To Thee (arr. Sousa) (1856/1899)
- Nearer My God To Thee (arr. Taylor) (1856/2012)