Music for the Royal Fireworks
George Frideric Handel (arr. Erickson)
This edition bears the title Royal Fireworks Music.
Year: 1749 / 1997
Duration: c. 14:30
Difficulty: IV (see Ratings for explanation)
Publisher: Mary Erickson
Cost: Score and Parts - $75.00 | Score Only - $15.50
1. Overture - 7:31
2. La Paix (The Peace) - 3:47
3. Bouree - 1:22
4. La Rejoissance (The Joy) - 1:47
5. Menuet - 2:45
Bb Clarinet I-II-III
Eb Alto Clarinet
Bb Bass Clarinet
Alto Saxophone I-II
Trumpet (in Bb) I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III
Baritone(Bass Clef & Treble Clef)
- Bass Drum
- Snare Drum
None discovered thus far.
Written for an outdoor performance in 1749, Handel's Music for the Royal Fireworks exemplifies early Classical conventions of notation. Unless the edition used includes modern annotations, performers must possess an understanding of Classical performance practices, including the interpretation of dotted rhythms, trills, and articulation styles. Even if the edition is updated, the conductor and performers should invest research into appropriate practices of similar works from this era to promote a thorough understanding of proper musical style.
- Notes from Great Music for Wind Band
A classic example of a Baroque masterpiece! As with The Messiah and The Water Music, this stirring work features familiar melodies, stately rhythms, regal trumpets, and a jubilance that will raise the spirits of everyone in your audience. Scored by Frank Erickson for full concert band in four movements, this work presents a variety of tempos and styles suitable for any concert or festival performance. A superb addition to the repertoire for more advanced bands!
- Notes by publisher
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Illinois State University Wind Symphony (Glenn Blocke, conductor) - 8 February 2015
Additional Works for Winds by this Composer
- Amen (arr. Grace)
- Antiphonal Alleluia (arr. Liebergen) (1746/1999)
- Arm, Arm, Ye Brave (arr. Barrow) (1746/1980)
- Arrival of the Queen of Sheba (arr. Allen) (1748/2007)
- Arrival of the Queen of Sheba (arr. Kenny) (1748/1988)
- Arrival of the Queen of Sheba (arr. Ricketts) (1748/2004)
- Concerto Grosso, Op 6
- Conquering Hero Comes, The, from "Judas Maccabeus"
- Dead March from "Saul"
- Entrance of the Queen of Sheba (arr. Marlatt) (1748/2011)
- Finale Grandioso (arr. Philip Gordon)
- Hail the Conquering Hero (arr. Marlatt) (2008)
- Hallelujah (arr. Davis and Longfield) (1741/2004)
- Hallelujah Chorus (arr Ades) (1741/1958)
- Hallelujah Chorus (arr. Johnson) (1741/1951)
- Hallelujah Chorus (arr. Chiaffarelli) (1741/1941)
- Hallelujah Chorus (arr. Rondeau) (1741/2010)
- Hallelujah Chorus (arr. Stanton) (1741)
- Hornpipe from "Water Music Suite" (1749)
- La Rejouissance (arr. Williams)
- La Rejouissance from "Music for the Royal Fireworks" (arr. Seipp)
- Larghetto (arr. Bullock) (1738/1994)
- Let Me Weep (arr. Haan) (1711/2004)
- Menuetto from Symphony No. 104 "London" (arr. Glover)
- Messiah Overture (arr. Johnson) (1741/1966)
- Music for the Royal Fireworks (arr. Erickson) (1749/1997)
- Music for the Royal Fireworks, The (arr Boudreau) (arr. Boudreau) (1749/1959)
- Music for the Royal Fireworks, The (arr Mackerras) (arr. Mackerras and Baines) (1749/1960)
- No Shade So Rare (arr. Forsblad) (1738/1999)
- Overture in D Minor
- Royal Fireworks Music (arr. Sartorius) (1749/1941)
- Slow March from "Scipio"
- Song of Jupiter (arr. Anderson) (1952)
- Suite from "Messiah" (trans. Curnow) (1741/1989)
- Thanks Be to Thee
- Three Movement from "Water Music" (arr. Wagner) (1715/2014)
- Water Music (arr. Longfield) (1717/1997)
- Water Music Suite (arr. Erickson) (1717/1985)
- Water Music Suite (arr. Kanayama) (1717)
- Water Music Suite (arr. Kay) (1717/1950)
- Zadok the Priest
- Nicholson, Chad. (2009). Great Music for Wind Band: A Guide to the Top 100 Works in Grades IV, V, VI.’’ Galesville, MD: Meredith Music Publications. pp 50-51.