Marche pour Harmonie ou Fanfare
Germaine Tailleferre (orch. Désiré Dondeyne)
Year: 1976 / 1991
Duration: c. 3:25
Difficulty: IV (see Ratings for explanation)
Publisher: Molenaar's Muziekcentrale N.V.
Cost: Score and Parts (print) - $110.00 | Score Only (print) - $21:44
E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Cornet I-II
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
- Bass Drum
- Snare Drum
None discovered thus far.
...on the occasion of Germaine's eightieth birthday, the Gardiens de la Paix Wind Band included in their programme [Désiré] Dondeyne's transcription of the Overture for a comic opera, originally written in 1932. Geraine was enthusiastic and declared: "If I had my time again, I would write only for wind band!" "What will it take to get you to write an original work for wind band?" "A discount of twenty years on my age!", she replied, but then added, looking at Dondeyne, "I'll write for you."
In fact, from then on, Geramine entrusted to Dondeyne the task of transcribing a certain number of her symphonic works for the band that he conducted. "It's a child we're creating together," she used to say.
- Program note from liner notes to the album La Nouvelle Cythère by Christopher Anderson
Germaine Tailleferre specifically conceived her Marche (1976) for Désiré Dondeyne’s Wind Band of the Gardiens de la Paix, originally giving it the title of Marche Burlesque, then Marche Militaire. She finally settled simply for Marche, which gives little idea of the facetious nature of the piece, indeed having little to do with things military! It is a fanciful, elegant composition in which the rhythm contrasts in charming ways with the martial metric pattern.
- Program Note from State University of New York, Potsdam, Symphonic Band concert program, 2 March 2017
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- San Jose (Calif.) Wind Symphony (David Vickerman, conductor) - 26 February 2023
- SUNY Potsdam Crane Wind Ensemble (Brian K. Doyle, conductor) - 22 October 2021
- San Jose (Calif.) State University Wind Ensemble (David Vickerman, conductor) - 22 February 2020 (2020 CASMEC Conference, Fresno)
- Rhode Island (Woonsocket) Wind Ensemble (Robert Franzblau, conductor) – 13 April 2019
- Ball State University (Muncie, Ind.) Symphony Band (Caroline Hand, conductor) - 1 December 2017
- Lawrence University (Appleton, Wisc.) Wind Ensemble (Andrew Mast, conductor) – 11 November 2017
- State University of New York, Potsdam, Symphonic Band (Brian K. Doyle, conductor) – 2 March 2017
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Choral et Ouverture (arr. Dondeyne)
- Deuxième Suite pour Orchestre (arr. Dondeyne) (1949)
- Marche (arr. Dondeyne) (1976)
- Marche pour Harmonie ou Fanfare (arr. Dondeyne) (1976/1991)
- Ouverture (arr. Paynter; ed. Boyd) (1932/1960/2003)
- Ouverture (arr. Wehage) (1932/2019)
- Partita (ar. Dondeyne)
- Suite Burlesque
- Suite Divertimento (arr. Dondeyne) (1986)
- Perusal score
- Tailleferre, G.; Dondeyne, D. (1991). Marche pour Harmonie/Fanfare : For Band [score]. Molenaar: Wormerveer, Netherlands.