March and Procession of Bacchus
For further availability information, see Discussion tab, above.
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
E-flat Alto Clarinet
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
Euphonium (Bass Clef & Treble Clef)
Drums and cymbals
(No further percussion detail provided by composer)
None discovered thus far.
Delibes’ ballet Sylvia was first produced at the Paris Opera in 1876. The plot tells of Sylvia, a beautiful huntress who is captured and abducted by Orion, the huntsman. Amyntas, who is in love with her, pursues her and her captor to a wooded area on the sea coast. At this point a festival to Bacchus is held. This is the point in the ballet where the March and Procession of Bacchus is performed. A ship approaches. Erose, disguised as a pirate, and several veiled slave women disembark. One of the slaves dances for Amynas. She then lifts her veil to reveal that she is Sylvia.
When it was first performed, Sylvia was a triumph. It, along with his earlier ballet Coppelia, permanently established Delibes as the foremost French composer of ballet music.
- Program Note from Heritage Encyclopedia of Band Music
None discovered thus far.
- Alabama: Class BB
- Arkansas: III
- Florida: V
- Iowa: III
- Kansas: IV
- Maryland: IV
- Michigan: Junior High AA
- South Carolina: IV
- Tennessee: IV
- Virginia: IV
- Wisconsin: Class B
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- The Ohio State University (Columbus) Honors Scarlet Symphonic Band (Scott A. Jones, conductor) – 20 January 2019
- University of North Carolina (Chapel Hill) Symphony Band (Erin Colleen Cooper, conductor) – 5 December 2018
- The Ohio State University (Columbus) Collegiate Winds (David Hedgecoth, conductor) – 13 November 2018
- University of Colorado Boulder Concert Band (Matthew Dockendorf, conductor) – 23 October 2017
- The Ohio State University (Columbus) Symphonic Band (Scott A. Jones, conductor) – 3 October 2017
- University of Illinois (Champaign) University Concert Band – 14 March 2017
- Kingsburg (Calif.) High School Wind Ensemble (Michael Schofield, conductor) - 15 April 2016 (2016 San Joaquin Valley (Calif.) Concert Band Invitational)
- Bangor (Maine) Band (Curvin Farnham, conductor) – 14 July 2015
- Fremd High School (Palatine, Ill.) Wind Ensemble – 18 April 2015
Works for Winds by this Composer
- Ballet Suite from "Sylvia"
- Chanson Espagnole (arr. Devogel)
- Coppélia: Part 2 (arr. Lake) (1870/1923)
- Flower Duet from "Lakmé" (arr. Brubaker) (1883/2004)
- Les Chasseresses (arr. Van der Beek)
- March and Cortege of Bacchus (tr. Kreines) (1878/2005)
- March and Procession of Bacchus (arr. Clark (1878/1918)
- March and Procession of Bacchus (arr. Osterling) (1878/1966)
- Suite from "Coppelia"
- Delibes, L.; Osterling, E. (1966). March and Procession of Bacchus [score]. Belwin, Inc.: New York.
- Heritage Encyclopedia of Band Music. "Léo Delibes." Accessed 15 July 2015