Year: 1998 / 2010
Duration: c. 7:00
Difficulty: (see Ratings for explanation)
Original Medium: Orchestra
Publisher: Schott Music Distribution
Cost: Score and Parts - Rental | Score Only (print) - $69.95
E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
B-flat Contrabass Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Saxophone
E-flat Alto Saxophone
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III-IV
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
Percussion I-II-III-IV-V, including:
- Bongos (2)
- Cabasa (2)
- Cowbell (2)
- Crash Cymbals (2)
- Drum Set
- Gong (high)
- Guiro (regular and metal)
- Maracas (low and high)
- Military Drum
- Sandpaper Blocks
- Snare Drum
- Steel Pipes (4)
- Suspended Cymbal (2)
- Tam-Tam (2)
- Temple Blocks (2)
- Tubular Bells
- Wood Block (2)
None discovered thus far.
Already beloved in its original orchestral version which premiered at the New York Philharmonic in 1998, the new transcription of Manhattan Rolls offers a challenging, unique and engaging addition to the wind band repertoire, and the premiere performance was the highlight of the 2010 Midwest Band Clinic.
Beaser comments on the original version:
Manhattan Roll is rather atypical for me: it’s highly rhythmic, whereas my music tends to be more lyrical, though also dramatic and rhythmic up to a point. Here we have a piece that starts loud -- fast and raucous -- and displays strong syncopation, mixing vibrant Latin-inspired rhythms with more traditional rhythmic notation.
- Program Note from publisher
Commissioned in a consortium led by Steven D. Davis and the UMKC Conservatory Wind Symphony, 2010.
- Audio: Reference recording. Ensemble and conductor unknown
- Audio CD: Texas A&M, Commerce, Wind Ensemble (Philip L. Clements, conductor) - 2013
- Audio flash drive: Eastern Kentucky University (Richmond) Symphonic Band (Andrew J. Putnam, conductor) – 2020
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- University of Oregon (Eugene) Wind Ensemble (Dennis Llinás, conductor) - 15 April 2022
- Eastern Kentucky University (Richmond) Symphonic Band (Andrew J. Putnam, conductor) – 22 February 2020 (CBDNA 2020 Southern Division Conference, Natchitoches, La.)
- University of Michigan (Ann Arbor) Symphony Band (Michael Haithcock, conductor) – 18 November 2016
- Sam Houston State University Wind Ensemble (Jeff Summers, conductor) – 19 November 2015
- Michigan State University (East Lansing) Wind Symphony (John T. Madden, conductor) – March 1, 2012 (ABA 2012 Annual Convention (Indianapolis, Indiana))
- Ball State University (Muncie, Ind.) Wind Ensemble (Thomas Caneva, conductor) – 23 March 2011 (CBDNA 2011 National Conference, Seattle, Wash.)
- University of Missouri-Kansas City (Mo.) Conservatory Wind Symphony (Steven D. Davis, conductor) – 18 December 2010 (2010 Midwest Clinic)
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Beaser, R. (2010). Manhattan Roll: For Wind Ensemble [score]. Schott: New York.
- Vondran, Shawn D. "Manhattan Roll." In Teaching Music through Performance in Band. Volume 9, edit. & comp. by Richard Miles, 934-943. Chicago: GIA Publications, 2013.