Magical Mystical Rain Forest, The
Low brass ensemble (six parts) and pre-recorded accompaniment track.
Several transpositions are provided for each part, so that the conductor can choose the best instrumentation for his/her local situation.
- Parts I, II, III, IV (all 4 parts come in bass clef, baritone treble clef, and horn in F)
- Part V (bass trombone and/or tuba)
- Part VI (bass trombone and/or tuba)
None discovered thus far.
Appeals to all audiences...fun to play...very approachable...would be a wonderful work to feature the low brass section at a high school spring band concert.—Dr. Jerry Young, University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
This is a lighter piece which has great appeal to audiences. It is very rhythmic and the accompaniment track is filled with interesting timbres. [The accompaniment track is not 1960s avant guard outer space noises - click audio link below to listen.]
Difficulty level is moderate for high school, easy for college/professional. An easy to prepare, crowd pleaser.
The accompaniment track is best played through a guitar-bass-keyboard amp/speaker placed within or behind the ensemble so that the track mixes well with the live instruments, and so that the musicians can hear and balance with the track. The PLAY button can easily be operated by a member of the ensemble.
This piece was commissioned and premiered by the Tennessee Tech Tuba-Euphonium Ensemble. R. Winston Morris, founder and conductor.
Originally scored for 2 euphoniums and 2 tubas, the composer later re-scored the work for six generic low brass parts to provide more flexibility. A further revision was made by the composer in May 2007, rewriting the brass parts in one section of the piece to give them more interesting parts to play.
Note: Tuba-Euphonium Press publishes an earlier version without the May 2007 revision.
Selected for performance at the 1991 International Tuba-Euphonium Conference in Lexington KY (USA).
None discovered thus far.
- Louisiana Tech Low Brass Ensemble (Dr. Joe L. Alexander, conducting) - October 2006
- Louisiana Tech Low Brass Ensemble (Dr. Joe L. Alexander, conducting) - May 2006
- Bowling Green State Univ. Tuba-Euphonium Ensemble - February 2003
- Valdosta State Univ. Tuba-Euphonium Ensemble (Dr. Kenyon Wilson, conducting) - February 2003
- Univ. of Southern Missippii Tuba-Euphonium Ensemble - 1995
- Tennessee Tech Univ. Tuba-Euphonium Ensemble (R. Winston Morris, conducting), New Orleans (MENC National In-Service) - 1992
- Tennessee Tech Univ. Tuba-Euphonium Ensemble (R. Winston Morris, conducting), International Tuba-Euphonium Conference - 1992
- James Madison Univ. Tuba-Euphonium Ensemble - 1992
- University of Kentucky Tuba-Euphonium Ensemble (Dr. Skip Gray, conducting) - 1992
- Tennessee Tech Univ. Tuba-Euphonium Ensemble (R. Winston Morris, conducting) - 1991 World Premiere
Works for Winds by This Composer
- And They Gathered on Mount Carmel (1995)
- Fanfare and Carol for Christmas
- Fanfare for Christmas Morning (1995)
- Fanfare for Christmas Morning (Brass) (1995)
- Fire of the Living God, The (1995)
- Flashbax (2011)
- Incantations of the Prophets of Baal, The (1995)
- Jericho (2005)
- Magical Mystical Rain Forest, The (1991)
- Prayer of Elijah, The (1995)
- Private Eye Prowl
- Rachel Weeping for Her Children September 11 2001 (2002)
- Susanna and the Elders (1978)
- Veni Emmanuel (1997)