Livin' on a Prayer
Jon Bon Jovi (arr. Paul Murtha)
This article is a stub. If you can help add information to it,
please join the WRP and visit the FAQ (left sidebar) for information.
Year: 1986 / 2008
Duration: c. 2:10
Difficulty: (see Ratings for explanation)
Original Medium: Rock Band
Publisher: Hal Leonard
Cost: Score and Parts (print) - $50.00; (digital) - $50.00 | Score Only (print) - $5.00
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
E-flat Alto Clarinet
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II
Horn in F
(percussion detail desired)
None discovered thus far.
Livin' on a Prayer is Bon Jovi's second chart-topping song from their album Slippery When Wet. Written by Jon Bon Jovi, Richie Sambora, and Desmond Child, the single, released in late 1986, was well received at both rock and pop radio, and its music video was given heavy rotation at MTV, giving the band their first No. 1 on the Billboard Mainstream Rock chart and their second consecutive No. 1 Billboard Hot 100 hit.
The song is the band's signature song, topping fan-voted lists and re-charting around the world decades after its release. The original 45-RPM single release sold 800,000 copies in the United States, and in 2013 was certified Triple Platinum for over 3 million digital downloads. The official music video has over 410 million views on YouTube.
"It deals with the way that two kids – Tommy and Gina – face life's struggles," noted Jon Bon Jovi, "and how their love and ambitions get them through the hard times. It's working class and it's real ... I wanted to incorporate the movie element, and tell a story about people I knew. So instead of doing what I did on Runaway, where the girl didn't have a name, I gave them names, which gave them an identity ... Tommy and Gina aren't two specific people; they represent a lifestyle."
Bon Jovi explained that he "wrote that song during the Reagan era (1980–1988) and the trickle-down economics are really inspirational to writing songs".
- Program Note from Wikipedia
This signature song from the '80's is as popular as ever with widespread use at sporting events, in video games, and over the airwaves. Classic rock at its finest, this hard hitting arrangement will be featured on concerts for years to come.
- Program Note from publisher
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Gettysburg (Penn.) College Wind Symphony (Russell McCutcheon, conductor) – 16 February 2018
- Lewis Frasier Middle School (Hinesville, Ga.) Patriot Winds (Jason Long, conductor) – 2015
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Always (arr. Ad Lamerigts)
- Bed of Roses (arr. Ad Lamerigts)
- Bon Jovi Rock Mix (arr. Wolfgang Wössner) (2010)
- It’s My Life (arr. Jirka Kadlec)
- Livin' on a Prayer (arr. Paul Murtha) (1986/2008)
- Thank You for Loving Me (arr. Jan van Kraeydonck) (2016)
- Bon Jovi, J.; Murtha, P.; Child, D.; Sambora, R. (2008). Livin' on a Prayer [score]. Masters Music Publications: London.
- Livin' on a Prayer, Wikipedia Accessed 16 February 2018