Larry MacTaggart (b. 1958, Moline, Ill.) is an American composer and arranger.
A 1976 graduate of Pea Ridge High School in Pea Ridge, Arkansas, MacTaggart attended the University of Central Arkansas in Conway, Arkansas. He transferred to the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville, graduating in 1981 with a bachelor's degree in music education. In 1981, MacTaggart accepted a graduate teaching assistantship with the University of Nebraska - Lincoln Band Department. Upon completion of a Master of Music Performance (percussion) degree in 1983, he accepted a position as director of bands for the Fairbury (NE) Public Schools.
In 1985, he was selected principal percussionist with the United States Air Force Strategic Air Command Band stationed at Offutt Air Force Base, Nebraska. He served in this position until 1995 when he was appointed chief musical arranger for the unit. In 1997, MacTaggart was reassigned to the United States Air Force Band in Washington D.C. as a staff music arranger. He was appointed Chief Music Arranger and Production Manager in 2001.
In 2007, MacTaggart was assigned to serve as the career field functional manager for 700 Air Force band members. Based out of the Pentagon, he coordinates all matters pertaining to manning, assignments, deployments and training of twelve Air Force bands.
MacTaggart was awarded the Meritorious Service Medal three times, the Air Force Commendation Medal three times, and the Air Force Achievement Medal twice. He was selected as Noncommissioned Officer of the Year for the United States Air Force Heartland of America Band (formerly the SAC Band) in 1993 and 1995, and Bandsman of the Year for the entire Air Force Band career field in 1995. He was selected as Operations Group Senior Noncommissioned Officer of the Year (Bolling Air Force Base, D.C.) for 2003 and 2004.
From 1995 - 1997, MacTaggart served as music director and conductor of the Nebraska Wind Symphony. MacTaggart remains active throughout the country as a guest clinician, adjudicator and conductor.
Works for Winds
- Arkansas River Ramble (2005)
- Carol of the Candle (2006)
- A Children's Noel (2011)
- A Christmas Procession (2009)
- Christmas Tree Farm (2022)
- Civil War Reflections (2012)
- Dreams of Scotland (2007)
- Elegy for the U.S.S. Arizona (2011)
- Fine (2019)
- Flight of the Monarch (2012)
- Fortress of Freedom (2010)
- Highland Dance (2008)
- Ho! Ho! Ho! (2009)
- A Holiday Celebration (2003)
- A Holiday Rhapsody (2000)
- In Quiet Tribute (2008)
- Jubilation (2002)
- Laughing All the Way (as arranger) (2009)
- Missouri River Celebration (2010)
- Mount Vernon Reverie (2006)
- Night Before Christmas in Paris (2022)
- Niobrara River Sketches (2005)
- Platte River Run (1998)
- Portal Ridge Overture (2018)
- Procession of the Chosen (2010)
- Rock Creek Adventure (2008)
- Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines (as arranger) (1965)
- To Those Who Fly (1996)
- Waltz Noel (2012)
- White River Revival (2007)
- "Larry MacTaggart." Wingert-Jones Publications Accessed 28 June 2017