Larry Daehn (b. 1939, Rosendale, Wisconsin) grew up on the farms of that state. He received a B.A. in Musical Education from the University of Wisconsin at Oshkosh in 1964 and his Masters' degree in 1976 from the University of Wisconsin at Platteville. He has been a teacher of music for 33 years, the last 27 of them at the New Glaris (WI) High School. A past president of the Wisconsin chapter of Phi Beta Mu, he was honored by that organization as Outstanding Bandmaster.
Daehn has composed With Quiet Courage, in memory of his mother, and As Summer Was Just Beginning. An avid admirer of Percy Grainger, he has written several arrangements of that composer's melodies and an article on the Grainger Museum. He is the owner of Daehn Publications.
Works for Winds
- Adagio for Winds (2004)
- Aria (as arranger)
- As Summer Was Just Beginning (1994)
- British Isles Suite (1999)
- Chaconne (2011)
- Chaconne and Festive Aria (as arranger)
- Chaconne in D Minor (as arranger)
- Chorale and Fugue in F Major (as arranger)
- Christmas Day (as arranger)
- Country Wildflowers (1998)
- Highland Echoes (1995)
- Farewell, Dear Voyager
- Fugue in B-flat Major (as arranger) (1722/1988)
- Old Irish Tune (2002)
- Passacaglia from "Cantata No. 12" (as arranger)
- Remembrance (2014)
- Romany Life (as arranger)
- Song for Friends, A (1997)
- Tchaikovskyana (as arranger) (1979/2015)
- West Point Bicentennial March (2002)
- Where Eagles Dare (as arranger) (1968/2011)
- While I Watch the Yellow Wheat (2002)
- With Quiet Courage (1995)
- Lopez, John. "Chaconne." In Teaching Music through Performance in Band. Volume 9, edit. & comp. by Richard Miles, 133-239. Chicago: GIA Publications, 2013.
- Miles, Richard B., and Larry Blocher. (2010). Teaching Music through Performance in Band. Volume 1. Chicago: GIA Publications. pp. 249.
- "Larry Daehn." Foothill Symphonic Winds. Web.