E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
E-flat Alto Clarinet
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
Percussion I-II-III, including:
- Bass Drum
- Crash Cymbal
- Snare Drum
- Suspended Cymbal
None discovered thus far.
In his review of the 2011 Taiwan WASBE Conference, noted conductor Timothy Reynish wrote: “Chang Su Koh was for me one of the most impressive composers ... with two fine works played. Lament for Wind Orchestra [is] one of those extremely rare wind works, a slow unsentimental piece, full of sentiment, first rate. This was also to my mind an object lesson in how to use a traditional musical language in a contemporary way. Some of this work was, dare I say it, beautiful, especially the development of a wind and then brass motif which reminded me of Shostakovich. This is a real piece of music, probably nearer Grade 5 than Grade 4 in its exposed writing and intensity.”
- Program Note by Timothy Reynish
Lament is a single-movement work commissioned in 2002 by the All-Japan Band Association as a required piece for the All-Japan Band Contest, and it also won the 13th annual Asahi Composition Award.
"Lament" is a musical term meaning grief or song of mourning. It is my hope that the title does not become a mere decoration for the performance.
- Program Note by the composer
- This work won "Asahi Composition Award 2001 for Wind Orchestra" by Asahi Shimbun Company and All Japan Band Association. It was selected in 2001 as one of five required pieces of the 2002 All-Japan Band Competition by All Japan Band Association.
- Lament for Wind Orchestra has been recommended as interesting, serious and distinctive music by members of the World Association of Symphonic Bands and Ensembles (WASBE).
- Audio: recording. Ensemble and conductor unknown
- Audio CD: Soka Gloria Wind Orchestra (Seiji Sagawa, conductor) - 2002
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Baylor University (Waco, Tx.) Symphonic Band (Stuart Ivey, conductor) - 9 October 2023
- Brigham Young University (Provo, Utah) Wind Symphony (Don L. Peterson, conductor) – 6 March 2020
- Stephen F. Austin State University (Nacogdoches, Tx.) Wind Ensemble (David Campo, conductor) – 22 February 2020 (CBDNA 2020 Southwestern Division Conference, Norman, Okla.)
- Central Michigan University (Mount Pleasant) Symphonic Wind Ensemble (Chris Chapman, conductor) – 29 October 2019
- Appalachian State University (Boone, N.C.) Symphony Band (Jason Gardner, conductor) – 7 October 2019
- University of Illinois (Champaign) University Band (Jason Gardner, conductor) - 25 April 2019
- Portland (Ore.) Wind Symphony (Chris Chapman, conductor) – 14 May 2018
- University of Arizona (Tucson) Wind Ensemble (Chad R. Nicholson, conductor) – 26 April 2018
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.) Symphonic Wind Ensemble (Mallory Thompson, conductor) – 13 October 2017
- University of Arkansas - Little Rock Wind Ensemble (Ken Goff, conductor) – 25 April 2017
- University of British Columbia (Vancouver) Symphonic Wind Ensemble (Robert Taylor, conductor) – 20 November 2015
- University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Wind Ensemble (John A. Climer, conductor) – 15 July 2015 – WASBE Conference, San Jose, Calif.
- CAM Bétera (Valencia, Spain) – 6 January 2013
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Afferoce (2014)
- Arirang and Akatonbo (as arranger) (2003)
- As the Sun Rises (2003-2004)
- Carnival Day (1999)
- Cherry Blossom Brilliance (2017)
- Chirche for Wind Orchestra (2019)
- Concerto for Wind Orchestra (2016)
- Dichterliebe (as arranger) (1840/2015)
- Dithyrambos (2006)
- Divertimento Based on Chatsumi (2005/2006)
- Eleutheria (2020)
- Fantajia (2016)
- Humoresque (2010)
- Il Calore di Tre Risaie (2022)
- Korean Dances (2004)
- Lament for Wind Orchestra (2002)
- Mindscape for Wind Orchestra (2015)
- Ode to R.S. (2012)
- Pansori'c Rhapsody (2008)
- Second Movement from "Streichquartett nr. 2" (as arranger) (1915-1917/2006)
- Vanitas for Wind Orchestra (2011)
- Viva! Osakan. See: Vive as an Oak
- Vive as an Oak (2019)
- Koh, C. (2002). Lament for Wind Orchestra [score]. All Japan Band Association and Brain Music: Hiroshima, Japan.