La Bamba de Vera Cruz
Terig Tucci (arr. Donald Hunsberger)
Subtitle: Mexican Dance
Duration: c. 2:45
Difficulty: (see Ratings for explanation)
Publisher: Sam Fox
Cost: Score and Parts – Out of print.
For availability information, see Discussion tab, above.
E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
E-flat Alto Clarinet
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Cornet I-II-III
B-flat Trumpet I-II
Horn in F I-II-III
Percussion (4 players) including:
- Bass Drum
- Bongos (2: or Timbales)
- Crash Cymbals
- Snare Drum
None discovered thus far.
A traditional huapango song, La Bamba is often played during weddings in Veracruz, where the bride and groom perform the accompanying dance. The dance is performed displaying the newlywed couple’s unity through their execution of complicated, delicate steps in unison, as well as the couple using only their feet to create a bow with a listón, a long red ribbon. The name of the dance, which has no direct English translation, is presumably connected with the Spanish verb bambolear, meaning “to shake” or perhaps “to stomp.”
The arriba (literally, “up”) part of the song suggests the nature of the dance, in which the footwork, called zapateado, is done faster and faster as the music tempo accelerates. A repeated lyric is, “Yo no soy marinero, soy capitán,” meaning “I am not a sailor, I am a captain” (Veracruz is a maritime locale).
- Program Note by David Cross for the Austin Symphonic Band concert program, 3 April 2016
(Needed - please join the WRP if you can help.)
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- University of Minnesota (Minneapolis) Gold Campus Band (Seth Davis, conductor) - 5 December 2022
- Kent State University (Ohio) All-Star Blue Band (Kate Ferguson, conductor) – 11 January 2020
- University of Dubuque (Iowa) Wind Ensemble (Cassandra Blanchard, conductor) – 2 November 2019
- Indiana University (Bloomington) Summer Concert Band (Stephen W. Pratt, conductor) – 21 June 2017
- Austin (Tex.) Symphonic Band (Frank Tracz, conductor) – 3 April 2016
Works for Winds by This Composer
- La Bamba de Vera Cruz (arr. Hunsberger) (1960)
- Lola Flores (arr. Krance) (1959/1966)
- Girsberger, Russ. Percussion Assignments for Band & Wind Ensemble: Volume 2 L-Z. Galesville, MD: Meredith Music Publications, 2004, 315. Print.
- Heritage Encyclopedia of Band Music. "Terig Tucci." Accessed 6 April 2016
- Tucci, T.; Hunsberger, D. (1960). La Bamba de Vera Cruz : Mexican Dance [score]. Sam Fox Pub. Co.: [Cleveland].