Subtitle: Little English Girl
E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Cornet I-II-III
B-flat Trumpet I-II
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
- Bass Drum
- Snare Drum
- Suspended Cymbal
None discovered thus far.
Best known for his marches, Davide Dele Cese was an Italian band leader, composer and teacher who enjoyed a long and rich musical career. His march, Inglesina, is one of his most popular marches and is an international favorite. This accomplished edition by the former director of the United States Marine Band is based on the original 1871 Italian edition and brings new excitement and freshness to this European classic.
- Program Note from publisher
Davide Delle Cese wrote this march in 1897 while he was bandmaster at Bitonto, a town near the Adriatic seaport city of Bari. This area, a port of embarkation during the Crusades and a longtime center for exchanges between East and West, has been visited by tourists from many countries, including England.
Whether Delle Cese has a certain "Inglesina" in mind when composing this march is not known. Considering the appreciative attention which mature young ladies traditionally receive from young Italian men, the subject in title was probably not too little, nor too young.
- Program Note from Program Notes for Band
L'Inglesina, originally Linglesina (The Little English Girl), was written in 1871 [sic]. A concert march or marcia sinfonica, it is composed in a more flexible form than the standard military march. Its phrases and sections are often asymmetrical. Various elements are reintroduced to create dramatic effect, along with sudden dynamic shifts and wide-ranging expressiveness. This piece is an important part of the march repertoire, particularly as an example of the late nineteenth-century, Italian concert march style. This edition by John Bourgeois, former director of the United States Marine Band, brings new excitement and freshness to the original European classic.
- Program Note from John Hersey High School Symphonic Band concert program, 23 February 2018
- Audio: Reference recording. Ensemble and conductor unknown
- Audio CD: Irmo High School Symphonic Winds (Ed Lisk, conductor) – 2000
- Audio CD: United States Marine Band - 2006
- Iowa: IV
- Kansas: IV
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Texas Tech University (Lubbock) Concert Band (Joel Pagán, conductor) - 25 April 2022
- University of Massachusetts (Amherst) Symphony Band (Matthew Westgate, conductor) - 1 December 2021
- University of Southern Mississippi (Hattiesburg) Symphonic Winds (Colin McKenzie, conductor) - 3 October 2021
- University of Minnesota (Minneapolis) University Band (David Roush, conductor) – 27 February 2020
- Cleveland (Ohio) Youth Wind Symphony Group II (Symphonic Winds - Melissa Lichtler, conductor) - 2 February 2020 (Cleveland State University)
- University of Nebraska Lincoln Wind Ensemble (Carolyn Barber, conductor) – 26 January 2020
- University of Arizona (Tucson) Wind Ensemble (Lee Bottelberghie, conductor) – 7 December 2019
- University of Manitoba (Winnipeg) Concert Band (Jan Michael Bourgeois, conductor) – 18 October 2019
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.) Concert Band (Daniel J. Farris, conductor) – 19 May 2019
- Clovis (Calif.) East High School Wind Ensemble (Marco Mellone, conductor) – 12 April 2019 (2019 San Joaquin Valley (Calif.) Concert Band Invitational)
- Clovis (Calif.) East High School Wind Ensemble (Marco Mellone, conductor) -15 March 2019 (2019 Sutherland Wind Festival (Fresno, Calif.)
- Morningside College (Sioux City, Iowa) Wind Ensemble (Shane Macklin, conductor) – 3 March 2019
- Wind Symphony of Clovis (Calif.) (John R. Bourgeois, conductor) - 19 December 2018 (2018 Midwest Clinic)
- Foothill Symphonic Winds (Los Altos, Calif.) (David Bruce Adams, conductor) – 9 December 2018
- Spartan Youth Wind Symphony (East Lansing, Mich.) (Arris Golden, conductor) – 2 December 2018
- University of North Texas (Denton) University Band (Brett Penshorn, conductor) – 14 November 2018
- University of British Columbia (Vancouver) Concert Winds (Christin Reardon MacLellan, conductor) – 21 November 2018
- Peninsula Symphonic Band (Palo Alto, Calif.) (G. Mancho Gonzalez, conductor) – 18 November 2018
- Wind Symphony of Clovis (Clovis, Calif.) (Christine Keenan, conductor) – 17 October 2018
- Irmo High School (Columbia, S.C.) Symphonic Winds (Ed Lisk, conductor) – 23 December 2000 (2000 Midwest Clinic)
Works for Winds by This Composer
- L'Esposizione di Barcellona
- L'Inglesina (arr. Bourgeois) (1897/2000)
- Little English Girl (L'Inglesina) (1956/1960)
- Marcia Africana
- Pace Europa
- Delle Cese, D.; Bourgeois, J. (2000). L'Inglesina: The Little English Girl: For Concert Band [score]. Wingert-Jones: Kansas City, Mo.
- Heritage Encyclopedia of Band Music. "Davide Delle Cese." Accessed 25 November 2014
- Smith, Norman E. (2002). Program Notes for Band. Chicago: GIA Publications, pp. 166.