Knightsbridge March (arr Yoder)
Also known as the theme from In Town Tonight
Year: 1933 / 1940
Duration: c. 2:55
Difficulty: (see Ratings for explanation)
Cost: Score and Parts – Out of print.
For availability information, see Discussion tab, above.
E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet Solo-II-III-IV
E-flat Alto Clarinet
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Bass Saxophone
B-flat Cornet Solo-I-II-III
E-flat Horn or Alto I-II-III-IV
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
Percussion (2 players), including:
- Bass Drum
- Crash Cymbals
- Snare Drum
None discovered thus far.
After Sir Thomas Beecham organized the London Philharmonic Orchestra in 1933, Coates "borrowed" the organization -- under his name -- to record two of his rhapsodies and his newly composed London Suite, including the third movement, Knightsbridge March. With very little rehearsal time, a superb recording was made. After hearing the recording Eric Maschwitz of the BBC began using it as the signature tune for the long-running Saturday night program In Town Tonight. The march became so popular that Coates's name became known throughout Britain.
The music refers to the Knightsbridge section in London, where visitors may see the pomp and pageantry of the scarlet-clad Buckingham Palace Guardsmen.
- Program Note from 'Program Notes for Band
(Needed - please join the WRP if you can help.)
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Wisconsin Lutheran College (Milwaukee) Concert Band (Terry S. Treuden, conductor) – 10 March 2017
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Arrival of the Princess
- Calling All Workers
- By the Sleepy Lagoon (arr. Godfrey) (1930)
- The Dam Busters March (arr. Wagner) (1954/2004)
- The Dam Busters (arr. Duthoit) (1955)
- Eighth Army March
- Footlights (arr. Duthoit) (1940)
- Four Ways Suite (arr. Godfrey and Leidzen) (1928)
- High Flight (Coates)
- Knightsbridge March. See: London Suite
- London Bridge
- London Suite
- London Suite (arr. Williams) (1934)
- The Merrymakers (arr Godfrey) (1923)
- Over to You
- Oxford Street (arr. Wagner) (1936/2009)
- Salute the Soldier
- The Seven Seas (arr. Duthoit) (1940)
- Sound and Vision
- Sweet Seventeen (arr. Duthoit) (1955)
- The Three Bears (arr. Godfrey (1928)
- The Three Elizabeths (arr. Duthoit) (1946)
- To-Day Is Ours (arr. Duthoit) (1940)
- Coates, E.; Yoder, P. (1940). Knightsbridge March = (In Town Tonight) From London Suite [score]. Chappell: New York.
- Smith, Norman E. (2002). Program Notes for Band. Chicago: GIA Publications, pp. 131.