Kevin Houben (b. 1977, Peer, Belgium) is a Belgian composer.
From young age, Kevin had a strong fascination for music. After high school in Peer, he studied at the Lemmens Institute in Leuven. He obtained a master in concert band conducting (with Jan Van der Roost), symphonic band conducting (with Edmond Saveniers), composition and orchestration (with Jan Van der Roost), chamber music and solfege. Kevin Houben’s oeuvre, since 2001 composed only on commission, comprises works for solo instrument, brass quintet, brass ensemble, percussion ensemble, wind orchestra, fanfare orchestra, brass band and symphonic orchestra.
Kevin is also conductor of the Youth Wind Band of the Koninklijke Harmonie van Peer and the Fanfare Orchestra St. Jozefsgilde Mol-Sluis. He is assistant conductor at the Koninklijke Harmonie van Peer. With the Youth Wind Band of the Koninklijke Harmonie van Peer, he won first prize at the International Competition for Youth Wind Bands of the Mid Europe festival in Schladming (Austria) in July 2010.
Works for Winds
- Arcana (2004)
- Call of the Clans (2008)
- Codon (2006)
- The Kangaroo (2013), from Bestiarium
- Lost Labyrinth, The (2009)
- Lux Futura
- March of the Marmots (2013)
- Valley of the Pinios (2005)
- Kevin Houben website
- Robinson, David. "Arcana." In Teaching Music through Performance in Band. Volume 11, Compiled and edited by Richard Miles, 489-498. Chicago: GIA Publications, 2018.