Subtitle: Fantasy on Finnish Folk Songs. This work bears the designation Op. 95.
E-flat Soprano Clarinet (optional)
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
E-flat Alto Clarinet (optional)
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Contra-alto Clarinet (opt.)
B-flat Contrabass Clarinet (opt.)
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Cornet I-II-III
B-flat Trumpet I-II
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
String Bass (optional)*
Percussion I-II-III-IV, including:
- Bass Drum
- Crash Cymbals
- Snare Drum
- Suspended Cymbal
- Tenor Drum
- Tom-Tom (1)*
- Score indicates an ambiguous tom-tom part which can easily be covered by a snare drum with snares off.
- Though the String Bass is marked as optional, the part at mm 21–32 is essential and not doubled elsewhere. Tuba could cover the part.
Kalevala (accent on the first syllable) is the name of a collection of ancient poems embodying the myths and hero legends of Finland. It was selected as the title of the composition because the first Finnish folksong used is a Kalevala melody. Six different folksongs form the basis of the entire work, contained in four sections... and an introduction.
Commissioned by the Ohio Music Education Association
- Program notes from the score
- Audio: Mid America Freedom Band (Kansas City, Mo.) (Lee Hartman, conductor) – 12 April 2014
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Mid America Freedom Band (Kansas City, Mo.) (Lee Hartman, conductor) – 12 April 2014
- Baldwin-Wallace College (Berea, Oh.) Concert Wind Ensemble (Loris O. Chobanian, conductor) – 10 March 1974
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Anatolia (1968)
- Celebration Overture (1955)
- Celebration Overture (ed. Madden) (1955/2016)
- Concertino for Marimba and Band (1940/1975)
- Concerto for Alto Saxophone and Orchestra (or Band) (1941/1963/1966)
- Fantasy for Trombone and Orchestra (or Band)
- Five Little Dances (trans. Longfield) (1946/2013)
- Kalevala (1971)
- Legend (1942/1945)
- Night in Mexico (tr. Yates) (1966/1997)
- Prelude and Dance (1959)
- Square Dance '76 (1977)
- Suite for Saxophone Quartet
- Zanoni (1949)
- Liberty Song ’76 (1976)
- Creston, P. (1971). Kalevala; fantasy on Finnish folksongs, for concert band, op. 95. [score]. New York, G. Schirmer.
- Paul Creston at G. Schirmer's Website