Jug Blues and Fat Pickin'
Duration: c. 8:20
Difficulty: VI (see Ratings for explanation)
Publisher: Freundworks Publishing / MMB Music
Cost: Score and Parts - Rental Only, contact MMB Music | Score (Purchase) - $50.00
Eb Soprano Clarinet
Bb Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
Bb Bass Clarinet
Eb Contra-Alto Clarinet (optional)
Alto Saxophone I-II
Trumpet (in Bb) I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
Percussion I-II-III, including:
- Pie Pan
- Slit Wood Drum
- Tom-Tom (small, medium)
(Percussion list is incomplete)
None discovered thus far.
Jug Blues & Fat Pickin' was written in 1986 and revised in 1990. Originally commissioned for the celebration of Tennessee's "Homecoming'86," it is without peer in the wind band repertoire. Inspired by recording of the Memphis Jug Band, the most recorded and perhaps most popular of the jug bands to spring up on Memphis' Beale Street in the late 1920's, and bluegrass banjo pickin', Freund's composition is a unique musical offering that melds "blues elements" with minimalist technique.
The Blues should howl, whine, and wail like a harmonica solo, with the same freedom and indulgence one might hear in an unaccompanied blues improvisation. The entire Blues must have an unmetered cadenza-like quality. The Blues should never drag; the slowed-down sections must have great color and intensity of expression, whether sighing or wailing. The Pickin' doesn't need to be too fast, but has to have the kind of easy-going, self-gratifying, clear-headed virtuosity that characterized great pickers. The performer should communicate a spirit of good, clean, exuberant fun.
Program Note by Don Freund
None discovered thus far.
(To add performances, please contact the webmaster)
- Concordia Santa Fe Wind Ensemble (Cynthia Johnston Turner, conductor) - 15 March 2009
- Cornell University Wind Ensemble (Cynthia Johnston Turner, conductor) - March 2008
- USAF Heartland of America Band (Captain Michael J. Willen, conductor) - 5 performances, 7-11 March 2008
- Trinity University Symphonic Wind Ensemble (James Worman, conductor) - 28 February & 20 April 2008
- University of Western Ontario Wind Ensemble (Colleen Richardson, conductor) - 27 March 2008
- Kennesaw State University Band (Peter Witte, conductor) - 14 November 2007
Additional Works for Winds by this Composer
- Beyond the Brass Gates (1998)
- Earthdance Concerto (2001)
- End of Summer (1990)
- Exotic Particles and the Confinement of Quarks
- Nativitas! — Fantasy on Perotin's 12th Century Alleluia (1996)
- Outsider (2004)
- Radical Light (1990)
- Southwinds (1994)
- Spinning Rounds (1993)
- The Waste Land: Four Movements after T.S. Eliot (1972)