Joseph F. Pekas (b. 1940, South Dakota) is an American composer, arranger, educator and performer.
Pekas received his master's degree in music at the University of South Dakota in Vermillion, and after teaching for two years in the Tripp School District, he moved to Mitchell, South Dakota. He was then a music educator at Mitchell High School for more than 30 years and performed with the South Dakota National Guard Band for 43 years.
Pekas has been the Mitchell Municipal Band director since 1966. He also composes and arranges music, and much of his music has been published and made available to bands and choirs around the world. He plays almost all instruments, but most notably the guitar, trumpet and piano.
Joseph Pekas was inducted into the South Dakota Music Hall of Fame in 2010.
Works for Winds
- 1st South Dakota Infantry March (as arranger) (1899/1971/2002)
- Away in a Manger (as arranger)
- Battle Stations
- Champions on Parade
- Espana Waltz (Brass Quintet) (as arranger)
- Espana Waltz (Woodwind Ensemble) (as arranger)
- The First Noel (as arranger)
- Four Wheel Drive
- Go Tell It on the Mountain (as arranger)
- Heroes for Freedom (2003)
- Homecoming Parade
- Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring (as arranger) (1723/)
- Joy to the World (as arranger)
- O Come All Ye Faithful (as arranger)
- Paradiddle Pete
- Procession Royale
- Shenandoah (as arranger)
- The Street Parade
- Victory Parade (2008)
- Westward Ho!
- When the Saints Go Marching In (as arranger)
- "Local musician set to enter hall of fame." Mitchell Republic, 11 May 2011. Web. Accessed 1 February 2021
- "Joe Pekas." LinkedIn. Web. Accessed 1 February 2021
- "Joseph Francis Pekas in the 1940 Census." Ancestry.com. Web. Accessed 1 February 2021
- "Joseph Pekas." Grand Mesa Music Publishers. Web. Accessed 1 February 2021