James E. (Jim) Mahaffey (b. 24 January 1939, Hayneville, Ala.) is an American composer, arranger and educator.
After attending Montevallo High School, Mr. Mahaffey studied at Auburn University, earning Bachelor of Science and Master of Music degrees in music education. While there he wrote the only arrangement of the Alabama State Song for band and chorus. Also while in school, Jim played lead trumpet for the Auburn Knights Orchestra that featured vocalist Toni Tennille and saxophonist Dave Edwards. After college Jim also did mini-tours with Billy Butterfield, June Christy, Warren Covington and the Tommy Dorsey Orchestra, and two summer tours abroad with Fred Waring's Kids from Home.
Mahaffey was assistant professor of music education at Troy State University, where he was a trumpet and theory instructor and arranger for the Troy State “The Sound of the South” Band. Prior to Troy, Mahaffey taught in San Antonio, Texas, public schools for 32 years.
As an editor and arranger for Southern Music Company (now retired), Mahaffey has numerous arrangements and original compositions for band to his credit. His works have been performed at gatherings of the Music Educators National Conference, National Bandmasters Association, Western International Band Conference, Georgia Music Educators Association, Alabama Music Educators Association, and Texas Bandmasters Association. Jim is a member of the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP), and a retired member of Alpha Chapter of Phi Beta Mu National Music Honorary.
Mr. Mahaffey recently authored the book A Practical Approach to Band Arranging, a textbook-workbook designed for individual or classroom instruction, a book used by major universities and individuals world-wide.
Works for Winds
- Blacksmith Variations (2005)
- Covington Legacy (2005)
- Fantasy on a Scottish Folk Song (1993)
- Letters from Liadov, Op. 58 (as transcriber) (1906/2007)
- New Horizons Overture (2007)
- Of Castles and Dreams (1999)
- Raiderland Overture (1991)
- Reflections on a Theme by Mozart (1998)
- Robert Burns Suite (1997)
- Rollercoaster! (2006)
- Sleep Gently, My Child (as arranger) (1892/2001)
- Two Solo Moods (2008)
- Variants on a German Hymn Tune
- Heritage Encyclopedia of Band Music. "James E. Mahaffey." Accessed 11 June 2021
- "Jim Mahaffey." HeBu. Web. Accessed 11 June 2021