J Fred Coots
John Frederick Coots (2 May 1897, Brooklyn, N.Y. – 8 April 1985, New York) was a prolific American songwriter.
Although he started working in a bank at age 17, by age 22 he had published his first hit song, after which he was offered the chance to write music for various shows. In 1932 he moved to Hollywood where he continued to write. A tune remembered today is Love Letters in the Sand.
Coots composed over 700 popular songs and over a dozen Broadway shows. In 1934 he wrote the melody with his then chief collaborator, lyricist Haven Gillespie, for the biggest hit for them both, Santa Claus Is Comin' to Town. The song became one of the biggest sellers in American history.
Works for Winds
- Beautiful Lady in Blue, A (1935)
- Falling in Love with You (1930)
- I Still Get a Thrill (1930)
- Santa Claus Is Comin' to Town (arr. Tatgenhorst) (1934/2006)
- Santa Claus Is Comin' to Town (arr. Yoder) (1934)
- Sons o' Guns
- John Frederick Coots, Wikipedia Accessed 23 December 2015