Intermezzo from "Cavalleria Rusticana"
E-flat Alto Clarinet
B-flat Bass Clarinet
B-flat Contrabass Clarinet
Alto Sax I-II
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
French Horn I-II
Harp (or Piano)
None discovered thus far.
Cavalleria Rusticana (Rustic Chivalry) is an opera in one act by Italian composer Pietro Mascagni (1863-1945). It was premiered on 17 May, 1890, at the Teatro Costanzi in Rome, Italy. The libretto, written by Giovanni-Targioni-Tozzetti and Guido Menasci, was based on the short story of the same title by novelist Giovanni Verga. Mascagni submitted Cavalleria Rusticana as an entry in a contest for the best unpublished one-act opera, sponsored by the music publisher Casa Sonzogno. It won first prize, and it was considered a great success at its first performance; however, none of Mascagni’s 14 subsequent operas met with great success. Due to its brevity, Cavalleria Rusticana is often paired with another one-act opera, most often Leoncavallo’s Pagliacci.
In the opera, two sweethearts, Lola and Turiddu, are separated by Turiddu’s military service. In his absence, Lola marries a local man (Alfio). When Turiddu returns he is angry and begins an affair with a local girl to arouse Lola’s jealousies. Despite their relationships to others, Lola and Turiddu resume their love. When Alfio discovers this, he challenges Turiddu to a duel, and Turiddu is killed. The Intermezzo is the best-known melody from the opera.
- Program Note by Nikk Pilato
(Needed - please join the WRP if you can help.)
- Florida: IV
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- New World School of the Arts (Miami, Fla.) Wind Ensemble (Brent Mounger, conductor) – 13 December 2019
Works for Winds by This Composer
This composer primarily wrote operatic music. Other transcriptions of his works include:
- Cavalleria Rusticana (arr. Shishikura) (2011)
- Intermezzo (arr. Suzuki) (1890/)
- Intermezzo from "Cavalleria Rusticana" (tr. Kreines) (1890)
- Intermezzo from "L'Amico Fritz" (tr. Falcone) (1891/)
- Intermezzo from "Cavalleria Rusticana" (arr. Falcone) (1890/1968)
- Intermezzo from "Guglielmo Ratcliff" (arr. Suzuki)
- Intermezzo Sinfonico (arr. Del Borgo) (1890/2003)
- Intermezzo Sinfonico from "Cavalleria Rusticana" (arr. Sonyong) (1890)
- Intermezzo Sinfonico from "Cavalleria Rusticana" (tr. Odom) (1890)
- Intermezzo Sinfonico from "Cavalleria Rusticana" (arr. Tatebe) (1890/2009)
- L'Amico Fritz (arr. Kimura) (1891/1998)
- Regina Coeli Laetare from "Cavalleria Rusticana" (arr. Johnson) (1890/2015)
- Regina Coeli from from "Cavalleria Rusticana"(1890/1970)
None discovered thus far.