Duration: c. 10:00
Publisher: Ariel Music
Cost: Score and Parts - £105.00 | Score only - £15.00
Flute I-II (optional)
Oboes I-II (optional)
B-flat Clarinets I-II-III
E-flat Alto Clarinet
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone (optional)
Horns in F I-II-III-IV (optional)
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
C Trombone I-II-III
String Bass Timpani
Percussion I-II-III, including:
- Bass Drum
- Large Temple Block (or Wood Block)
- Side Drum
- Suspended Cymbal
- Temple Block (large) (or Wood Block)
- Tom Toms (3)
None discovered thus far.
Dedicated to Timothy Reynish.
Viola: What country, friends, is this?
Captain: This is Illyria, lady.
Shakespeare: Twelfth Night Act I., Sc 2
The precise geographical location of Illyria was not important to Shakespeare. What excited him with the resonance of the world itself and the romance of all far away, make-believe places. Illyria is Never Never Land and the idea of inventing dances for such a place intrigued me.
This suite of three dances as commissioned by the British Association of Symphonic Band and Wind Ensemble with funds provided by West Midlands Arts. The first performance too place 26th September 1986 at Warwick University during the fifth annual BASBWE conference.
As Head of Music to the Royal Shakespeare Company, I have composed more than one hundred and fifty scores and with with Gallimaufry, some of the thematic material for the Illyrian Dances is adapted for music originally written for RSC productions.
- Program Note by composer
The first movement, Rondeau, contains a seven-bar refrain with a memorable rhythmic twist to it and alternates with variants which highlight most sections of the band. The work is dedicated to today’s conductor of the piece, Timothy Reynish. And this performance of the work is dedicated to the brilliant life of Guy Woolfenden who passed away earlier this year.
- Program Note from Douglas Anderson School of the Arts Wind Symphony concert program, 14 December 2016
- Illyrian Dances has been recommended as interesting, serious and distinctive music by members of the World Association of Symphonic Bands and Ensembles (WASBE).
- MP3 Download: (Craig Paré, conductor)
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- University of Kansas (Lawrence) Symphonic Band (Tom Davoren, conductor) - 12 October 2020
- Ithaca (N.Y.) College Wind Symphony (Christopher Hughes, conductor) – 3 May 2019
- Baylor University (Waco, Texas) Symphonic Band (Isaiah Odajima, conductor) – 26 April 2019
- Michigan State University (East Lansing) Concert Band (Arris Golden, conductor) – 28 November 2018
- University of North Dakota (Grand Forks) Wind Ensemble (James Popejoy, conductor) – 9 October 2018
- Syracuse University (Syracuse, N.Y.) (Bradley P. Ethington, conductor) – 2 October 2018
- Texas Tech University (Lubbock) Symphonic Band (Sarah McKoin, conductor) – 12 February 2018
- University of Florida (Gainesville) Symphonic Band (John M. Watkins, Jr., conductor) – 30 November 2017
- Wheaton College (Wheaton, Ill.) Symphonic Band (Timothy Yontz, conductor) – 4 November 2017
- Ouachita Baptist University (Arkadelphia, Ark.) Wind Ensemble (Craig V. Hamilton, conductor) – 30 October 2017
- University of North Carolina (Chapel Hill) Symphony Band (Arris Golden, conductor) – 16 October 2017
- Douglas Anderson School of the Arts (Jacksonville, Fla.) Wind Symphony (Timothy Reynish, conductor) - 14 December 2016 (2016 Midwest Clinic)
- University of Arkansas (Fayetteville) Wind Symphony (W. Dale Warren, conductor) – 21 November 2016
- Sacramento (Calif.) Symphonic Winds (Timothy M. Smith, conductor) – 30 October 2016
- Philadelphia (Penn.) Wind Symphony (Paul Bryan, conductor) – 22 October 2016
- Phoenix (N.Y.) Community Band (David Frateschi, conductor) – 9 November 2015
- Florida Wind Band (Johnnie Vincent, conductor) - 8 March 2013 (ABA Convention, Tampa)
Works for Winds by this Composer
- Birthday Treat
- Bohemian Dances
- Claremont Canzona
- Curtain Call
- Deo Gracias (1986)
- Divertimento for Band
- French Impressions (1998)
- Illyrian Dances (1986)
- Irish Reel (as arranger) (1936/2000)
- Mockbeggar Variations
- SPQR (1988)
- Suite Française (1991)
None discovered thus far.