B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
Alto Saxophone I-II
Trumpet (in Bb) I-II-III-IV
French Horn I-II-III-IV
Percussion I-II-III-IV, including:
- Bass Drum
- Cymbals (crash and suspended)
- Gong (Tam-tam)
- Snare Drum
- Tubular Bells
None discovered thus far.
I Am was commissioned by Craig Aune and the Cedar Rapids Prairie High School Band of Cedar Rapids, Iowa in February 1990. It was written in memory of Lynn Jones, a baritone saxophone player in the band who was killed in an auto accident during that winter. The work is basically tonal in nature, but includes extended techniques such as an aleatoric section and singing from members of the ensemble. The aleatoric section is intended to represent the foggy morning of the crash in which Jones died. The words "I Am" are taken from a poem that he wrote just days before his death. The piece is not intended in any way to be an elegy. Instead, it is a celebration, a reaffirmation, of life.
Life, Music, Competition.
I like exciting things, and doing good for others.
Beauty, Successfulness and Smartness are important to me.
I like to achieve recognition.
I can succeed if I really put my mind to it.
I am very set in my ways,
But I can change when I realize my ignorance.
I like a simple nonchalant lifestyle.
I hate ignorance.
I hate structuredness.
This is me. I am!
- Program Note by Andrew Boysen, Jr.
- Texas: III. Complete
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Arkansas State University (Jonesboro) Concert Band (Steven Riley, conductor) - 27 February 2020
- Sacramento (Calif.) State University Concert Band (Matthew Morse, conductor) - 16 October 2019
- Whitman College (Walla Walla, Wash.) Wind Ensemble (Nathan Krebs, conductor) – 21 April 2019
- Dr. Lawrence R. Sutherland High School Honor Band (Fresno, Calif.) (Andrew Boysen Jr., conductor) - 17 March 2019 (2019 Sutherland Wind Festival (Fresno, Calif.)
- University of Utah (Salt Lake City) Symphonic Band (Eric LaPrade) – 19 April 2018
- University of Massachusetts (Amherst) Concert Band (Jared Bloch, conductor)– 4 December 2017
- Ripon (Wisc.) College Symphonic Wind Ensemble (Kurt Dietrich, conductor) – 19 November 2017
- West Chester University (Penn.) Wind Symphony (Elizabeth Mahovsky, conductor) – 26 April 2017
- Kennesaw (Ga.) State University Concert Band (Debra Traficante, conductor) – 19 April 2016
- University of North Texas (Denton) University Band (Kelly Desjardins, conductor) – 13 April 2016
- Clovis (Calif.) West High School Symphonic Winds (John Lack, conductor) - 17 April 2015 (2015 San Joaquin Valley (Calif.) Concert Band Invitational)
- Grand Street (Brooklyn, N.Y.) Community Band (Brian Worsdale, conductor) - 21 March 2015
- Austin Peay State University Symphonic Band (John Schnettler, conductor) - 28 February 2012
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Alchemy (2008/2013)
- All the Pretty Little Horses. See: Three Folk Song Settings for Band
- Ancient Runes (2017)
- Apples (2018)
- Branden's Rainbow (1997/2002)
- Bright Sunny Days (2013)
- By My Side (2018)
- Casus Belli
- Celebration In Brass
- Concerto for Percussion (as transcriber) (1994/1997)
- Conversations with the Night (1994)
- Dance, from All Hail the Power
- December Dance (2005)
- Diamond Jubilee Suite (2018)
- Distorted Images: A Jazzman's Nightmare
- Fallen Leaf, A
- Fantasy on a Theme of Sousa (2003)
- The Four Horsemen
- A Glimpse through the Trees
- Grant Them Eternal Rest
- Havener Fanfare (2012)
- I Am (1990)
- John Henry
- Kinetic Energy (1994)
- Kirkpatrick Fanfare (1999)
- The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (2006)
- Metamorphosis (2013)
- Old Ben's Farm (2016/2019)
- On the Merrimack (2010)
- Poor Wayfaring Stranger. See: Three Folk Song Settings for Band
- Scarborough Fair. See: Three Folk Song Settings for Band
- Scherzo No 2 (2013)
- Shades of Ivory
- Simple Song
- Snowflakes Dancing (2012/2016)
- A Song for Lyndsay (2005)
- Song for My Children (2013)
- Song of Loudest Praise, A (2010)
- Song of the Sea Maidens
- Stamp, from A Jack Stamp Suite (2017)
- Star-Crossed (2013)
- Symphony No. 1 for Winds and Percussion (1997)
- Symphony No. 3
- Symphony No. 4 (2006)
- Symphony No. 6
- Symphony No. 8 (2015-2016)
- Symphony No. 10 (2019)
- This Is the Drum (2013)
- Thoughts of You
- Three Folk Song Settings for Band
- Time Streams (After Tricycle) (2011)
- To Break Earth's Sleep (2015)
- Tricycle (1997)
- Twilight of the Gods (2010)
- An Uncommon Man
- Urban Scenes
- The Vikings (2015)
- Winter of the World