Subtitle: Ballad for Band
E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
E-flat Alto Clarinet
B-flat Bass Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Saxophone
E-flat Alto Saxophone
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Cornet I-II
B-flat Trumpet I-II
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
String Bass I-II
- Bass Drum
- Gong (or Tam-Tam)
- Snare Drum
- Bassoon II, m.7-8: A tie is missing in the part (correct in the score).
- B-flat Soprano Clarinet III, m.20: The C-flat should be a B-flat in both score and part.
- Bass Clarinet, m.4: The E-flat should be an E-Natural in both score and part.
- Horn IV, m 28: The C-natural should be a C-sharp in both score and part.
- B-flat Trumpet II, m.86: The D-flat should be a D-natural in both score and part.
- Euphonium m.20. The B-double flat should be an A-flat in both score and part.
Respighi's Huntingtower Ballad, written in 1932, is a short sombre work with some interesting exploitation of the lower wind instruments.
- Program Note from A New Day for Band Music by Richard F. Goldman
Written for Edwin Franko Goldman and the American Bandmasters' Association
(Needed - please join the WRP if you can help.)
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Indiana Wind Symphony (Carmel) (Charles P. Conrad, conductor) - 23 May 2021
- State University of New York, Fredonia, Concert Band (Ray Stewart, conductor) – 5 March 2020
- Indiana State University Wind Orchestra (Nikk Pilato, conductor) - 21 November 2019
- Mississippi Wind Symphony (Jackson) (Craig Young, conductor) - 4 June 2019
- Ithaca (N.Y.) College Wind Symphony (Christopher Hughes, conductor) – 12 December 2018
- University of Cincinnati (Ohio) College-Conservatory of Music Wind Ensemble (Thomas Gamboa, conductor) – 25 September 2018
Works for Winds by This Composer
This composer primarily wrote orchestral music. Other transcriptions of his music include:
- Airs of the Court (arr. Longfield) (1931/2009)
- Ancient Airs and Dances, Suite I (tr. Johnson)
- Ancient Airs and Dances (arr. Marlatt) (2008)
- Belkis, Regina di Saba (arr. Kimura) (1931/1995)
- Belkis, Regina di Saba (trans. Nefs) (1931/2016)
- Bergomasca from Ancient Airs
- Church Windows (arr. Schyns) (1926/2007)
- Feste Romane (arr. Van Grevenbroek) (1928/2013)
- Feste Romane (arr. Kimura) (1928/2006)
- Feste Romane (arr. Schaefer) (1928/1976)
- Fontane di Roma (arr. Van Grevenbroek) (1916/2013)
- The Fountains of Rome (arr. Junkin) (1916)
- The Fountains of Rome (tr. Odom) (1916)
- Huntingtower (1932)
- Huntingtower (orch. Cesarini) (1932/1987)
- Huntingtower (arr. Suzuki) (1932/2001)
- Huntingtower (ed. Binney) (1932/1991)
- I pini della via Appia (arr. Suijkerbuijk) (1924/1987)
- La Boutique Fantasque (as arranger; tr. Mahaffey) (2009)
- La Boutique Fantasque (as arranger) (1922)
- Pines of Rome (arr. Kimura) (1924)
- Pines of Rome (trans. Duker) (1924/1966)
- Pines of the Appian Way (ed. Leidzen) (1924/1948)
- Pini di Roma (arr. Van Grevenbroek) (1924/)
- Pini di Roma (tr. Nefs) (1924/2012)
- Roman Festivals (arr. Patterson) (1928)
- Trittico Botticelliano (arr. Hanna) (1927/201?)
- Wind Repertory Project Blog
- Kinsey, Jordan E. (2011) "Conductor Guides to Three Standard Works for Wind Band"
- Smith, Norman E. (2002). Program Notes for Band. Chicago: GIA Publications, pp. 496-497.
- Zembower, C. (2008). Gems of Parallelism. Journal of Band Research, 43(2).