Carl Nielsen (arr. Møller)
This article is a stub. If you can help add information to it,
please join the WRP and visit the FAQ (left sidebar) for information.
Subtitle: Dance of the Cocks [or Cockerels] : From the Opera 'Masquerade'
Year: 1906 / 1972
Duration: c. 5:15
Difficulty: (see Ratings for explanation)
Publisher: Carl Fischer
Cost: Score and Parts - Unknown
E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Cornet I-II-III
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
(percussion detail desired)
None discovered thus far.
The Dance of the Cockerels from Masquerade is one of Carl Nielsen's most popular pieces. It belongs to Act III of the opera [representing] the festivities at the big masked ball which brings all the participants together, high and low, young and old. The dance is in 3/4 time – not like a waltz, perhaps rather like a Polonase. We her the proud cockerel strutting around among the clucking hens. In the trio comes an eruptive, stereophonic episode where trumpets, bassoons, flutes and horn cry out to one another - like young roosters squabbling over the hens.
- Program Note from liner notes of CD "At Long Last Live," University of South Florida Wind Ensemble
- Arkansas: V
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Bemidji (Minn.) State University Wind Ensemble (Scott Guidry, conductor) – 24 April 2016
- Swedish National Wind Band (Rune Hannisdal, conductor) – June 1014
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Aladdin Suite (arr. de Meij) (1919/1995)
- Hanedans (arr. Møller) (1906/1972)
- The Inextinguishable (arr. Forrester) (1916/)
- Masquerade Overture (arr. Boyd) (1904-06/1969)
- Nearer My God to Thee (1912/2004)
- Paraphrase on Nearer My God to Thee (tr. Gorder) (1912/2000)
- Prelude to Act II of "Maskarade" (arr. Hanna) (1904-06/)
- Prelude to Act Two from the Opera "Saul and David" (arr. Boyd) (1899–1901/1971)
- Symphony No. 3 (tr. Snedecor) (1911/)
- Heritage Encyclopedia of Band Music. "Carl Nielsen." Accessed 25 April 2016.
- Nielsen, C.; Møller, P. (1972). Hanedans (Dance of the Cocks) : From the opera "Masquerade" for concert band [score]. Wilhelm Hansen: Copenhagen.