Funiculi Funicula (arr Lang)
Year: 1880 / 1947
Duration: c. 3:00
Difficulty: III (see Ratings for explanation)
Original Medium: Song
Publisher: LudwigMasters Publications, through Keiser Southern Music
Cost: Score and Parts (print) - $60.00
For further availability information, see Discussion tab, above.
E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
E-flat Alto Clarinet
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Cornet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
Horn or Alto in E-flat I-II-III-IV
- Bass Drum
- Orchestra Bells
- Snare Drum
None discovered thus far.
Funiculi Funicula by Luigi Denza is one of the most famous of all Italian street songs. In this arrangement for band, Philip J. Lang has re-created the driving festival spirit with exciting colorations for brass.
The composition opens with a fiery introduction by the full band, and at A a rhythmic pattern is established by the horns and saxophones. At B the trombones and baritone state the theme pompously over the rhythmic background. The full power and brilliance of the arrangement is reached at H where all low brasses and reeds proclaim the theme, punctuated by cornet fanfares. The finale is a return of the rhythmic pattern terminated by a spirit of exaltation stated by the full band.
- Program Note from score
The words to Funiculi Funicula were written by journalist Peppino Turco and set to music by Denza in 1880, for the opening of the first funicular railway on Mt. Vesuvius. Although the song was composed in only a few hours, it has remained popular for over a century. Richard Strauss later included the tune in the fourth movement of his orchestral tone poem, Aus Italien, believing it to be a popular Neapolitan folk tune.
- Program Note by Edward C. Harris for the San Jose Wind Symphony concert program, 17 May 2015
(Needed - please join the WRP if you can help.)
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Parkland College (Champaign, Ill.) Concert Band (Larry Stoner, conductor) - 4 March 2018
- Atascadero (Calif.) Community Band (Cassandra Tarrantino, conductor) – 2 August 2016
- Parkland College (Champaign, Ill.) Wind Ensemble (Jonathan Beckett, conductor) – 5 May 2016
- Rio Rico Symphonic Band – 2014
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Funiculi Funicula (arr. Lang) (1880/1947)
- Funiculi Funicula (arr. Reed) (1880/1994)
- Funiculi Funicula Rhapsody (arr. Goto) (1880/2001)
- Merry Life March, A
- Denza, L.; Lang, P. (1947). Funiculi Funicula [score]. Mills Music: New York.