(Needed, please join the WRP if you can help.)
None discovered thus far.
This work is inspired by four paintings by the French painter Georges Seurat, but does not attempt to recreate his pointillist technique in musical terms. The first movement, Parade, contrasts the strange gas-lit world of "La Parade de Cirque: Invitation to the Sideshow," which features a sinister-looking trombone player and his ghostly acolytes, with the cool detached stance of that great masterpiece "A Bathing Place: Asnières." The second movement, Can Can, recreates the world of two other paintings: "Le Cirque" and "Le Chahut," which depicts a curiously stylised Can Can in full swing, accompanied by a pit orchestra. The phrase “faire du chahut” means to make a racket!
- Program Note by publisher
- Louisiana: III
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- California State University Bakersfield Concert Band (Leo Sakamoto, conductor) – 23 November 2019
- University of California (Berkeley) Wind Ensemble II (Matthew Sadowski, conductor) – 28 April 2019
- San Luis Obispo (Calif.) Wind Orchestra (David Rackley, conductor) – March 23, 2019
- Metropolitan Wind Symphony (Lexington, Mass). (Louis J. Buckley, conductor) – 4 November 2018
- Golden Gate Park Band (San Francisco, Calif.) (Robert Calonico, conductor) - 15 July 2018
- Contra Costa Wind Symphony (Walnut Creek, Calif.) (Duane Carroll, conductor) - 8 March 2015
Works for Winds by this Composer
- Birthday Treat
- Bohemian Dances
- Claremont Canzona
- Curtain Call
- Deo Gracias (1986)
- Divertimento for Band
- French Impressions (1998)
- Illyrian Dances (1986)
- Irish Reel (as arranger) (1936/2000)
- Mockbeggar Variations
- SPQR (1988)
- Suite Française (1991)
- Miles, Richard B., and Larry Blocher. 2002. Teaching Music Through Performance in Band. Volume 4. Chicago: GIA Publications. pp. 644-655.
- Woolfenden, G. (1998). French Impressions: For Concert Band [score]. Ariel Music: Banbury, England.