Festival De Ladrones
Subtitle: Festival of Thieves
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II
Percussion I-II-III, including:
- Bass Drum
- Crash Cymbals
- Snare Drum
- Suspended Cymbal
- Although the published work's title is Festival De Ladrones, the correct Spanish capitalization would be Festival de Ladrones.
Festival De Ladrones (Festival of Thieves) was inspired by the many hours I spent as a child watching westerns with my father. Early in my childhood I was exposed to The Cowboys, The Magnificent Seven and True Grit. Later on it was Pale Rider and Silverado.
This work is a depiction of a group of bandits on the run from the law. The first section is rather fast with a driving snare drum rhythm and punctuated hits from the ensemble as the trumpets play the main theme. The second section is much slower and has alternating time signatures that give it an uneasy feeling at first. The third section is a mariachi dance movement in which our unlikely heroes celebrate their escape from their pursuers with a fiesta.
- Program Note by composer
- National Bandmasters Association/Merrill Jones Memorial Composition Contest, 1994, winner.
North Carolina: III
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- West Lynn (Ore.) High School - Spring 2020
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Festival De Ladrones (1994/2007)
- Geological Instabilities for Band
- Nightshades and Moonscapes
- Three Dances for Band
- Checketts, D. (2007). Festival de Ladrones = (Festival of Thieves) [score]. TRN Music Publisher: Alto, NM.