Subtitle: For Solo Trumpet and Wind Ensemble
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
Percussion I: Orchestra Bells, Crash Cymbals
Percussion II: High and Medium Suspended Cymbals, Bass Drum, Tam-tam, Finger Cymbals
None discovered thus far.
Commissioned by Philip Smith and the University of New Mexico Wind Symphony.
- Program Note from score
Evensong was commissioned by trumpeter Philip Smith and the University of New Mexico Wind Symphony, Eric Rombach-Kendall conductor. The work was started in August of 1999 and completed in January of 2000. The commissioning artists premiered the work on April 18, 2000 in Albuquerque. The piece is dedicated to the memory of Stephen Michael Gryc’s father-in-law, publisher Robert King, who died at the age of 85 after a lifetime of invaluable service to the worldwide community of brass players. Evensong is the English name for the church service celebrated shortly before sunset, and it may also mean any song sung in the evening. The work employs two ancient “church modes”, dorian and mixolydian. The elegiac character of Evensong demonstrates the lyricism of which the trumpet is capable and, more particularly, the great artistry of Philip Smith.
- Program Note by composer
Evensong for Trumpet and Wind Ensemble. Fandango, Philip Smith, trumpet and Joseph Alessi, trombone, with the University of New Mexico Wind Symphony conducted by Eric Rombach-Kendall, Summit Records, DCD 271, 2000.
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Missouri State University (Springfield) Wind Ensemble (John Zastoupil, conductor; Grant Peters, trumpet) – 23 March 2018 (CBDNA 2018 Southwestern Conference, Houston, Texas)
- University of Toronto Wind Symphony (Jeff Reynolds, conductor; Gillian Chreptyk, trumpet) – 2 December 2016
- Young Artists Wind Ensemble of the Boston University Tanglewood Institute (H. Robert Reynolds, conductor; David Krauss, trumpet) – 31 July 2016
- University of South Carolina Wind Ensemble (Jayme Taylor, conductor; James Ackley, trumpet) – 24 November 2013
- California State University (Sacramento) Wind Ensemble (Robert Halseth, conductor; Gary Dilworth, trumpet) – 4 April 2012
- Hartt Wind Ensemble (University of Hartford) (Glen Adsit, conductor; Philip Smith, trumpet) – 14 October 2012
- United States Marine Band (Michelle Rakers, conductor; Michael Mergen, trumpet) – 18 February 2007
- Butler University Wind Ensemble (Robert Grechesky, conductor; Kassie Eberle, trumpet) – 22 October 2006
- Central Connecticut State University Wind Ensemble (Thomas Seddon, conductor; Daniel D'Addio, trumpet) – 7 March 2005
- University of Louisville Wind Ensemble (Philip Smith, trumpet) – 13 October 2005
Works for Winds by this Composer
- Blue Rider
- Concerto for Winds and Percussion (2011)
- Evensong (2000)
- Fanfare for a Noble Rebel
- Fire Brigade Volunteers Quick March
- Fly High
- Guignol (2016)
- Las Campanas (2001/2009)
- Masquerade Variations on a Theme of Sergei Prokofiev (1997/2004)
- Rossiniana (2016)
- Six Romances after Mendelssohn (2013)
- Gryc, S. (2000). Evensong : For Solo Trumpet and Wind Ensemble [score]. S. Gryc: [s.n.].