Euphonium Concerto (Horovitz)
This article is a stub. If you can help add information to it,
please join the WRP and visit the FAQ (left sidebar) for information.
Duration: c. 16:00
Difficulty: V (see Ratings for explanation)
Original Medium: Euphonium and brass band
Publisher: Novello, through Studio Music
Cost: Score and Parts (print) - £164.95
1. Moderato – 5:10
2. Lento – 6:35
3. Con Moto – 4:00
E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
(percussion detail desired)
None discovered thus far.
The three-movement structure reflects a classical outlook concerning concertos. Traditionally, this design favours the listener, first in the head, then the heart and finally in the toes. In the first movement, the soloist combines clear strong phrases with gentle melismatic meandering as well as negotiating many acute-angled leaps which justify themselves by enharmonic changes beneath. The slow movement has a long main melody and contains the only cadenza element in the work: two pastoral passages, homage to the mysteriously beautiful Border Country. The finale opens with a driving, motoric introduction followed by a cheeky rondo theme. Repeated quotations of this are elaborated with increasingly intricate variations until an unaccompanied whole-tone version of the theme brings the work to a fast close.
- Program Note from publisher
(Needed - please join the WRP if you can help.)
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Frostburg (Md.) State University Wind Ensemble (Ash Glenn, conductor; Alex Frye, euphonium) - 12 March 2023
- University of Lethbridge (Alb., Can.) Wind Orchestra (Chee Meng Low, conductor; Brendan Ukrainetz, euphonium) - 18 April 2021
- Bob Jones University (Greenville, S.C.) Symphonic Wind Band (Bruce Cox, conductor; Daniel Leedy, euphonium) – 17 April 2020 (performance scheduled, but concert cancelled)
- National Youth Wind Orchestra of Great Britain (David Childs, euphonium) – 2013
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Ad Astra (1992)
- Bacchus on Blue Ridge (1973/1984)
- Commedia Dell'Arte (1994/1996)
- Concertino Classico
- Dance Suite (1992)
- Euphonium Concerto (1972)
- Fantasia and Fugue in G minor (as transcriber) (c. 1838/1986)
- Fête Galante (1991)
- Lille Theme (1992)
- Tuba Concerto (2001)
- Wind-Harp (1988)
- Bone, Lloyd E. Jr. and Eric Paull. Guide to the Euphonium Repertoire. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 2007, p. 47.
- Heritage Encyclopedia of Band Music. "Joseph Horovitz." Accessed 17 April 2020
- Horovitz, J. (1991). Euphonium Concerto [score]. Novello: London.
- Perusal score