Year: 2004 / 2009
Duration: c. 4:30
Difficulty: IV (see Ratings for explanation)
Original Medium: Trombone sextet
Publisher: Omar Thomas
Cost: Score and Parts (print) - $30.00 | Score Only (print) - $5.00
(Interchangeable with any low brass instruments containing the appropriate range)
None discovered thus far.
Emma Catherine was composed as a gift to my trombone professor at James Madison University, Dr. Andrew Lankford, and for his wife, Dr. Heather Lankford, as they were expecting the birth of their first child, Emma Catherine Lankford. When spoken naturally, the syllables "Emma Catherine" fall into a rhythmic pattern of two shorter notes followed by two longer notes. This became the primary rhythmic motive of the piece. At the premiere of the piece in the spring of 2004, Emma had just been born, and was able to hear the lullaby written in her honor.
This piece was originally written for trombone sextet and afterwards converted to a tuba quartet instrumentation via a commission by the University of Georgia Graduate Tuba-Euphonium Ensemble. Years later, I had the idea of creating a men's choir version and employing the lyrical talents of my friend, John Coons.
- Program Note by composer
This arrangement commissioned by the University of Georgia Graduate Tuba Quartet. Dedicated to Dr. and Mrs. Lankford and their beautiful baby girl.
- Program Note from score
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Indiana University (Bloomington) Wind Ensemble (Rodney Dorsey, conductor) – 31 January 2023
- University of Iowa (Iowa City) Tuba-Euphonium Ensemble (Wiatt Cariveau, conductor) - 10 December 2020
- University of Colorado Boulder Wind Symphony (Melinda Mason, conductor) - 7 December 2020
- University of Minnesota (Minneapolis) Wind Ensemble (unconducted) - 10 October 2020
- Ball State University (Muncie, Ind.) Tuba Quartet - 5 October 2020
- Louisiana State University (Baton Rouge) Chamber Winds (Nick Doshier, conductor) - 4 March 2020
Works for Winds by This Composer
All Wind Works
- Candor (2021)
- Caribana (2021)
- Come Sunday (2018)
- Emma Catherine (Flex instrumentation) (2004/2009)
- The Low-Down Brown Get-Down (2020)
- Moods and Attitudes (2023)
- A Mother of a Revolution! (2019)
- Of Our New Day Begun (2016)
- Sharp Nine (Flex instrumentation) (2020)
- Shenandoah (as arranger) (2019)
- Creative Repertoire Initiative
- Flaherty, Jean. " Emma Catherine by Omar Thomas." Literature for a Pandemic (and Beyond). Web. Accessed 24 August 2020
- Omar Thomas website Accessed 1 May 2020
- Perusal score
- Thomas, O. (2009). Emma Catherine [score]. Omar Thomas: [s.l.].