Divertimento in E-flat for Wind Octet
1. March – 3:20
2. Sarabande on a Ground – 4:15
3. Rondo – 4:55
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II
Horn in F I-II
None discovered thus far.
Gordon Jacob’s Divertimento in E-flat was written in 1968 for a wind octet. Jacob was known to test the capabilities of the instruments he composed for, and this is present in this piece, especially in the horn parts.
The piece opens in the first movement with a lively march. This movement features many chromatic 16th-note passages and helps exhibit a playful nature of the piece. The second movement is titled Sarabande on a Ground. A sarabande is a Spanish dance that is characterized by its triple meter. This movement is marked as adagio throughout and features a solo line in the horn section that is present in the entire movement. Every part plays this main melody at least once throughout the movement.
The final movement is a rondo. This movement features a playful melody that is passed throughout the instruments. This movement features a quasi-cadenza in the horn at the end that gives the horns the ability to show their technical prowess.
- Program Note by Michael Carrasquillo for the Indiana University of Pennsylvania Wind Ensemble concert program, 14 November 2020
- Audio CD: Sinfonietta Ventus - 2003
- New York: Mixed Woodwind Octet VI
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Indiana University of Pennsylvania Wind Ensemble (Michael Carrasquillo, conductor) - 14 November 2020
- University of Cincinnati (Ohio) College-Conservatory of Music Chamber Winds (Kevin Michael Holzman, conductor) – 5 December 2019
- University of Minnesota Wind Conducting Workshop (Seth Davis, conductor) - 2018
Works for Winds by this Composer
- The Battell (as transcriber) (1964)
- Cameos for Bass Trombone and Wind Band
- Celebration Overture (1984)
- Concerto for Band (1969)
- Concerto for Bassoon and Strings (or Band) (1948)
- Concerto for Horn (tr. Rogers) (1951)
- Concerto for Timpani and Band (1984/1988)
- Concerto for Trombone (1956/1995)
- Concerto for Trombone (arr. Denis Wick) (1956/1999)
- Divertimento in E-flat for Wind Octet (1969)
- Double Concerto for Clarinet and Trumpet and Band (1929/1979/1983)
- Fantasia for Euphonium and Band (1969/1973)
- Fantasia on an English Folk Song (1984)
- Flag of Stars (1956)
- Giles Farnaby Suite
- Moorside March (as arranger) (1928/1960)
- More Old Wine in New Bottles (1978)
- Music for a Festival (1951)
- Old Wine in New Bottles (1958)
- An Original Suite (1928)
- Overture: Alexandra Palace (1975/1994)
- Prelude to a Comedy
- Sir Godfrey Kneller's March
- Suite in B-flat
- Sweet Nightingale
- Symphony AD 78
- Tribute to Canterbury (1972/1977)
- William Byrd Suite (1924/1960)
- William Byrd Suite (ed. Trachsel) (1924/1960/2007)
- Fay, Matthew William. Gordon Jacob: A Background and Study of His Works for Wind Octet. 2010. Florida State University, DMA dissertation.
- Jacob, G. (1969). Divertimento in E Flat for Wind Octet : 2 Oboes, 2 Clarinets, 2 Bassoons and 2 Horns [score]. Musica Rara: London.