Divertimento for Symphonic Winds and Percussion
Karel Husa (orch. Boyd)
Year: 1955 / 1995
Duration: c. 10:20
Difficulty: VI (see Ratings for explanation)
Original Medium: PIano, four-hands
Publisher: Ludwig-Masters Publications
Cost: Score and Parts – Out of print
1. Overture – 1:50
2. Scherzo – 1:25
3. Song - 2:25
4. Slovak Dance – 4:35
(Needed, please join the WRP if you can help.)
None discovered thus far.
Husa moved to the United States in 1954, destined for the music faculty at Cornell University. The following year he composed a Divertimento for piano, four-hands. Husa later arranged this music for brass ensemble (1958) and brass quintet (1968). After two decades of gently "pestering" Husa for a wind-band arrangement, John Boyd received permission to fashion his own version, which received its premiere at lndiana State University during Husa's 75th birthday year (1996).
Boyd explained that, "In my orchestration, I have intended to capture all the character and folk flavor of the earlier version. Only in movement three, 'Song,' have I departed from the composer's rather sparse setting ... This is tonal Husa, rhythmically accessible Husa -- an interesting view of a wonderful composer in his earlier years."
- Program Note by Todd Sullivan
None discovered thus far.
- Florida: VI
- Indiana: ISSMA SENIOR BAND GROUP I
- Louisiana: C
- Michigan: Senior High AA
- North Carolina: VI
- Tennessee: VI
- Texas: III. Complete
- Texas: IV. Complete
- Texas: V. Complete
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- University of Arkansas (Fayetteville) Wind Symphony (Benjamin Lorenzo, conductor) – 3 October 2018
- Ithaca (N.Y.) College Wind Ensemble (Christopher Hughes, conductor) – 5 April 2018
- Eastman School of Music (Rochester, N.Y.) Wind Orchestra (Kevin Holzman, conductor) – 23 September 2016
- Philharmonic Winds (Singapore) (John Boyd, conductor) - 2008
Works for Winds by this Composer
- Al Fresco (1973)
- Apotheosis of this Earth (1970)
- Cheetah (2007)
- Concertino for Piano and Wind Ensemble (1984)
- Concerto for Alto Saxophone and Concert Band (1967)
- Concerto for Percussion and Wind Ensemble (1970)
- Concerto for Trumpet and Wind Orchestra
- Concerto for Wind Ensemble (1982)
- Divertimento for Brass and Percussion (1957)
- Divertimento for Symphonic Winds and Percussion (arr. John Boyd) (1995)
- Fanfare for Brass and Percussion (1981)
- Les Couleurs Fauves (1996)
- Music for Prague 1968 (1968)
- Smetana Fanfare (1984)
- Husa, K.; Boyd, J. (1995). Divertimento for symphonic winds and percussion [score]. Ludwig Music Pub.: Grafton, Ohio.
- Sullivan, Todd (2000). "Divertimento". Liner note from CD Philharmonia a Vent: Masterworks for Wind Band.